The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Technology (http://www.horseforum.com/technology/)
-   -   Virus :( (http://www.horseforum.com/technology/virus-18559/)

CheyAut 11-30-2008 01:38 AM

Virus :(

Can anyone help me?

My husband was watching videos of idiots getting hurt (you know, skateboarders who do stupid stunts, that kind of thing) and got my computer a virus :( Stupid me did not have virus protection on at the time :(

So I did a McAfee scan thing, and it did ok except it couldn't get rid of "Adware-Gain." And that, I think, allowed more stuff to get on, because each time the computer is turned on, more stuff gets on! McAfee was also unable, last time I tried antying, to quarentine (I don't really know what that means anyhow) some Trojan viruses :(

So, what do I do now? Haven't turned on that computer since. But it's my main one, has all my photos and favorite programs on it, so.... Help?

PS I do not have disks for most of the programs, including the Windows XP on it, since my ex boyfriend built the computer for me 6 years ago... so I'm REALLY hoping things won't need to be re-installed???

Appyt 11-30-2008 03:40 PM

Howdy stranger,

I searched in google and found this support forum with a thread on your adware bug. I suggest you check it out and search further if this doesn't help you.

Finished too soon. Here is a symantic page on it with a removal tool.. XX that works as it'd be easier to do I am sure.

Jehanzeb 11-30-2008 04:09 PM

I am sure that removal tool won't do much trick. Mcafee is good but not that good in my opinion.

If I were you, I would uninstall Mcafee and install AVG free edition along with Malware bytes. Spybot 1.6 would do the trick as well.

Here what I would have done

1: Uninstall Mcafee
2: Download AVG free edition - Download AVG Free Edition 8.0.176 - FileHippo.com
3: Install AVG, click on computer scanner tab from the left bar.
4: click Change scan settings
5: Tick all check boxes
6: Click Save settings and click Start Scan
7: Each time it finds a virus click Move to Virus Vault
8: Once all done, click on History --->Virus Vault
9: Once in Virus Vault select all of them and click Empty vault/Delete

10: Download Malware bytes - Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware - Reviews and free Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware downloads at Download.com

11: Once downloaded and isntalled, click Update tab and update it. Once updated, click Full Scan radio button and scan your pc.
12: After scan click on Quarantine tab and delete every single one.

(sigh) Do this first and then I will post about Spybot if nothing is sorted.

Please do let us know how it goes and any queries post it here :-)

Hope this helps

Regards

Spyder 11-30-2008 04:25 PM

I second AVG as the best PC protector.

Joshie 11-30-2008 04:28 PM

Or, you could chuck that computer and purchase a Mac. :shock:

Jehanzeb 11-30-2008 04:52 PM

Ooooo I love Mac, they are real good looking better machines, though not everyone uses them specially in gaming world you have to wait for even longer for the games to come out.

Saying that, Mac are best in productivity, web designing, graphics designing, video editing...I bought my sister Macbook air for her A-levels media project and it works great.

Oh and virus free!! haha :-)

Regards

claireauriga 11-30-2008 05:06 PM

They're only virus free because relatively few people have them :P

RegalCharm 11-30-2008 06:06 PM

I use avast, free download and so far have not had any
virus's,

Spyder 11-30-2008 06:23 PM

Just remember guys that all my carrots have viruses put in them so if anyone steals them they will get burned !!!!!:evil:

RegalCharm 11-30-2008 06:27 PM

that is why everyone is loading up with antivirus carrot utilities

so when they come across stray carrots, they can clean them
before giving them a new home.:D