The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Dressage (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/)
-   -   Classical Dressage? (http://www.horseforum.com/dressage/classical-dressage-185658/)

poppy1356 05-01-2013 10:33 AM

Classical Dressage?

So I am kicking myself in the butt for not paying better attention in lessons years ago. I was young and loved jumping so dressage went on the backburner. But now I have just moved my horse to a classical dressage training barn. I am not taking lessons or anything at this time as I just cannot afford it. This barn does just have regular boarders along with clients. So that said I think I should learn more about this style of riding as there seem to be quite a bit of rules. I'm fine with rules and I understand why they are there, it is a training facility after all. But this is a much different style of training than the other dressage facility I work at, therefore I am pretty much clueless.

Can someone point me in the right direction for articles to read? Maybe some good videos to watch? I feel pretty out of place right now and really need to catch up on some learning. Thanks to anyone that can help me.

deserthorsewoman 05-01-2013 10:42 AM

Since you have it right there, I would watch and ask.
Explain to him that you never had this type of training and that you would love to learn more about it. Parallel to that, ask Dr. Google, and again, ask questions about what you found.
Lizzie is probably thinking" holy cow, I've seen a lot, and now she wants to do THAT???? ;-)

poppy1356 05-01-2013 10:48 AM

Haha yea at least we got the bolting psycho thing under control. She is moving nicely in the indoor now. Apparently we can't use draw reins when riding only while lunging (which that I don't understand the concept) but oh well I got to use them twice and then when I took them off she still kept her head lower and wasn't doing the whole giraffe look.

He really makes me feel like I have no idea what I'm doing without even talking to him, going to admit I'm kinda scared to ask him questions, especially since I cannot afford to take lessons I don't want him to think I want tips for free.

And I watched a few lessons but I have no idea what he is talking about when he asks the people to do things. Is there like a dressage dictionary somewhere??

Eolith 05-01-2013 11:16 AM

Ask which training principles and/or well recognized trainers influence his training philosophy most. If you can get a name or two, you'll be able to find books/DVDs about that trainer/training style and you'll have a treasure trove of information. Asking one little question about where he gets his inspiration shouldn't come across as too annoying, and it should be a question that he is willing to answer.

Also ask if it's alright for you to watch lessons. Even if none of it seems to make sense at first, you may be able to establish some common patterns/techniques -- especially if you do find out what trainers and styles influence him.

poppy1356 05-01-2013 11:23 AM

That's a good idea. Never thought to ask what trainers he likes. Hopefully whoever it is has written something in English since this guy is from Germany.

deserthorsewoman 05-01-2013 01:49 PM

By seeing a pic of him in uniform, on a white horse, I dare to guess he was in Vienna at the Spanish riding school. Videos on youtube, yes. Books, yes, look on Amazon for anything by Alois Podhajsky. Egon von Neindorff might have something translated. Can't tell you titles, so look up the authors.
Dr. Reiner Klimke has books translated, for sure. He might not be considered "classical", but old school German dressage. The man won several Olympics, alone, and team, with different horses.

deserthorsewoman 05-01-2013 01:58 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z2DP...e_gdata_player

For starters....there are many many more

deserthorsewoman 05-01-2013 02:10 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eMpr...e_gdata_player

This is pretty interesting, based on classical dressage, " new" competition.

poppy1356 05-01-2013 02:16 PM

Oooo thank you. I will look at those when I get home, work computer hates on youtube. Looks like I will have some people to look up. I never would have remembered who those people are without having the names written down.

poppy1356 05-02-2013 08:29 AM

Ok so I watched those videos last night. That first one, there are pictures in the barn of him riding those horses soooo I'm guessing your right. I'm just going to guess that my little Lizzy will never be that good lol. Hmmm maybe eventually I will be able to afford lessons. I haven't asked cost but well pretty much anything over free I can't afford so it might be awhile.