The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Fly Preditors - I just subscribed for a summers worth (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/fly-preditors-i-just-subscribed-summers-185754/)

lancek 05-01-2013 01:52 PM

Fly Preditors - I just subscribed for a summers worth

Fly Predators - I just subscribed for a summers worth. I will report back with my results.
We have 2 horses and there are 3 more in the same area. So I ordered the 5 horse batch.
I wanted to do this last year but never did.
We are hoping to cut out the fly spray.

We'll see how it goes.

SouthernTrails 05-01-2013 01:55 PM

We tried them a couple of years, they worked pretty well, worked even better the 2nd year when we convinced our neighbor to order them for his property and horses, I estimate the 2nd year we had 70-80% less flies.

lancek 05-01-2013 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthernTrailsGA (Post 2400242)

We tried them a couple of years, they worked pretty well, worked even better the 2nd year when we convinced our neighbor to order them for his property and horses, I estimate the 2nd year we had 70-80% less flies.

Wow that is great! Our horses are kept WAY away from any other animals so hopefully well have success this year!

lancek 05-01-2013 02:00 PM

I think my posts sound confusing. Our two horses are boarded with 3 others. SO 5 total.

Oldhorselady 05-01-2013 02:02 PM

Second year for our ranch....but my first year here....so I'm not sure what to compare to. I'm very happy with the lack of fly population at our ranch so far and we have 70 horses with other ranches all around us! I haven't even used a fly mask yet.

aldebono 05-01-2013 02:25 PM

Fly predators are amazing! At home, we have been using them for years with four horses and two cows and the only flies we ever see are the small biting "stall" flies.

lancek 05-01-2013 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aldebono (Post 2400578)
Fly predators are amazing! At home, we have been using them for years with four horses and two cows and the only flies we ever see are the small biting "stall" flies.

Man that is great to hear! It sounds like money well spent!

aldebono 05-01-2013 04:40 PM

It really is. I was shocked at how much they were though! But definitely worth it.

Also, take a moment when they start to pupate to see how cute and tiny they are!