The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Feed questions (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/feed-questions-185778/)

ariatgirl2008 05-01-2013 01:34 PM

Feed questions

I have a mid aged gelding, he has ulcers. I have been feeding him cool stance, alfalfa pellets and lots of hay. He doesn't seem to eat his cool stance, so is there any other feed someone would recommend for a horse with ulcers?

deserthorsewoman 05-01-2013 02:20 PM

How is his weight, what does he do work wise. He'd be best off without any grain/ sweetfeed. Alfalfa pellets are good, a general vit/min supplement or ration balancer and free choice hay should be enough to maintain himself on. If he's working, something needs to be added for energy. Oil, ricebran, beetpulp come to mind.

stevenson 05-01-2013 03:23 PM

what do you give him for his ulcers? what has the Vet suggested? he had seen a Vet hasn't he?

ariatgirl2008 05-01-2013 06:53 PM

He needs to put weight on, its not dangerously low. He does drill and trail riding. I want to stay away from the extra sugar in some feeds as that makes the ulcers worse. He is on a digestive supplement for ulcers. And yes of course he's seen the vet.

loosie 05-01-2013 07:29 PM

Look into low calcium, low starch, high Magnesium diet.

Heelsdown 05-01-2013 10:47 PM

A woman at my barn has a horse with ulcers and she gives him alfalfa which apparently is great for uclers so you're on the right track! She also gives him an ulcer supplement from Smart pak and swears that it's been like magic for him.

gigem88 05-02-2013 07:30 AM

I friend of mine had great results with putting weight on her horse with Purina's Strategy Healthy Edge.

ariatgirl2008 05-02-2013 10:41 AM

I love purina healthy edge (its what i have all my horses on), but for him it has too much extra sugar. I have him on alfalfa pellets and as much hay as he can eat. I was just checking to see if anyone had any other ideas. I have him on ulceraid, im not convinced its doing much for him and feel its mostly the alfalfa.

deserthorsewoman 05-02-2013 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariatgirl2008 (Post 2409330)
I love purina healthy edge (its what i have all my horses on), but for him it has too much extra sugar. I have him on alfalfa pellets and as much hay as he can eat. I was just checking to see if anyone had any other ideas. I have him on ulceraid, im not convinced its doing much for him and feel its mostly the alfalfa.

The Healthy Edge is considered a low sugar/NSC feed with 17% and 1300 calories. You can look into Purina Ultium, 15% NSC, 1900 Calories.

You should stay below 20% NSC, closer to 15% being better.
Grass hay has 13-14%, alfalfa pellets 9.3, plus whatever else you add. So do the math, I don't think a couple of lbs of Healthy Edge will push it above 20%;-)

its lbs not miles 05-02-2013 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariatgirl2008 (Post 2400642)
I have a mid aged gelding, he has ulcers. I have been feeding him cool stance, alfalfa pellets and lots of hay. He doesn't seem to eat his cool stance, so is there any other feed someone would recommend for a horse with ulcers?

:lol: You're already feeding one of the things I'd have recommended (copra).
Did he ever eat the Cool stance well, or is it a newer feed for him? Most horses I know don't jump right to it (all new feeds should be transitioned to), but end up loving it. It took mine about a week to warm up to copra as I transitioned it with their old feed (but mine only get it so they're use to it for when I need to use it for distance riding). If he was eating it, but has stopped then I'd look for reasons why.

Copra is very easily digested in the SI and will put weight on (so if he's an easy keeper you'll need to watch his weight and how much you feed). Keep in mind that it's lower in CA and higher in P which is the opposite of a good ratio. Beet pulp (easily digested in the hind gut) has CA but no P so I use that to give balance (and I can soak the beet and copra together for feeding). There are other things that work too (today there are so many suppliments and feeds for equines that it's almost as bad as the human side of the "health food" industry). I often wonder how my family ever managed to keep healthy horses that lived 30+ years without all this special food and suppliments :lol: (actually I do know....we rotated grazing over varous pastures and wooded areas with varying vegetation year round)

Oils are also a very easy to digest additive and useful if you need more energy. Soy meal is a good source for lysine (better than cotton seed which is what the industry tends to use more).

I personally avoid grains and anything sweet. To many potential health issues associated with them.