The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Barrel Racing (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/)
-   -   Help with my plopper :) (http://www.horseforum.com/barrel-racing/help-my-plopper-185786/)

nessa1579 05-01-2013 02:17 PM

Help with my plopper :)

Hey everybody, I need help with my mare. She's really starting to plop down on her front end in the turns. She has been vetted, chiro'd, dental, saddle checked, everything. What are some drills that could help in this area? I've done everything I know and other forums aren't very helpful, quite snobby really, different from this one as I've found, so I'm comin here for help :)
Posted via Mobile Device

QHriderKE 05-01-2013 02:21 PM

So, what you are saying is you need some extra "lift"? Or is she dropping her shoulder? What exactly is goin on? LOL

nessa1579 05-01-2013 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QHriderKE (Post 2401050)
So, what you are saying is you need some extra "lift"? Or is she dropping her shoulder? What exactly is goin on? LOL

She completely dumps down on her front end, not just dropping her shoulder, just about everything is on her front end, causing slips, falls, ROUGH turns, and loss of time. She tries to pull herself out of the turn also instead of driving out. I really just want her sitting on her butt and driving around the turns
Posted via Mobile Device

QHriderKE 05-01-2013 02:32 PM

Then you need to to sort of rock back onto her hind end.

Work on the flat getting her to drive with her butt and USE it.

Watch this video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCJ-FR8Uap0

Following it really helps horses learn how to turn.

nessa1579 05-01-2013 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QHriderKE (Post 2401130)
Then you need to to sort of rock back onto her hind end.

Work on the flat getting her to drive with her butt and USE it.

Watch this video!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cCJ-FR8Uap0

Following it really helps horses learn how to turn.

Thank you!
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 05-01-2013 02:40 PM

You need to get her hip under her and make that front end light. You can do this on and off the pattern, and this is something I have to do often on my mare.

The easy one is just keeping pushing that hip in. When you do your rate exercise, stop at your rate point, push his hip back under him, carry on around the barrel with a lot of bend and then when you leave it and his hip clears the barrel go ahead and push it in again. That one's easy.

The second thing I would do is something similar to what Sherry Cervi is doing here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G14k0S4Eato

She is doing turns on the backside of the barrels with a lot of bend. I do a lot of these. My mare is naturally on her front and requires a lot of drive out of the barrel and this is a great exercise. It says, "You better get your hind end down because your front end has to do something now."

It also works on stops for reining horses. Everytime you stop off the pattern, before her feet even stop moving be kicking her into a haunch turn or a spin. Doesn't have to be perfect so long as her front end moves. Be aggressive. Then walk off and relax, pet her, etc. That exercise will get a horse sore, I can only do it four or five times on Selena, but if your mare is in shape it shouldn't be a problem just so long as you can read when she is starting to listen.

Also rollbacks into the fence. Give your rate command, turn her into the fence and make her DRIVE out of it. Even if the turn isn't good at first, kick and get her out of that with a 110% energy. Then bring her back down to a nice, relaxed gait, and let her clam down before doing it again. it gets that energy there and the horse will learn to get the front end out of the way because they can't drive off with that energy if their back end isn't in the ground.

Hopefully that will work for you.

nessa1579 05-01-2013 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SorrelHorse (Post 2401170)
You need to get her hip under her and make that front end light. You can do this on and off the pattern, and this is something I have to do often on my mare.

The easy one is just keeping pushing that hip in. When you do your rate exercise, stop at your rate point, push his hip back under him, carry on around the barrel with a lot of bend and then when you leave it and his hip clears the barrel go ahead and push it in again. That one's easy.

The second thing I would do is something similar to what Sherry Cervi is doing here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G14k0S4Eato

She is doing turns on the backside of the barrels with a lot of bend. I do a lot of these. My mare is naturally on her front and requires a lot of drive out of the barrel and this is a great exercise. It says, "You better get your hind end down because your front end has to do something now."

It also works on stops for reining horses. Everytime you stop off the pattern, before her feet even stop moving be kicking her into a haunch turn or a spin. Doesn't have to be perfect so long as her front end moves. Be aggressive. Then walk off and relax, pet her, etc. That exercise will get a horse sore, I can only do it four or five times on Selena, but if your mare is in shape it shouldn't be a problem just so long as you can read when she is starting to listen.

Also rollbacks into the fence. Give your rate command, turn her into the fence and make her DRIVE out of it. Even if the turn isn't good at first, kick and get her out of that with a 110% energy. Then bring her back down to a nice, relaxed gait, and let her clam down before doing it again. it gets that energy there and the horse will learn to get the front end out of the way because they can't drive off with that energy if their back end isn't in the ground.

Hopefully that will work for you.

Thank you! I'll definitely try that, I had tried the spin behind the barrel, and it started working. I have the Clinton Anderson and sherry cervi DVD and am always goin to it for pointers.
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelRacingLvr 05-01-2013 04:06 PM

You have gotten great advice , but just wanted to point something out. Seen your post on BHW, and just wanted to say that they are t being rude they just don't sugar coat things. They tell things how they are....and that is one place that is filled with many knowledgeable barrel racers.

If you hang around here long enough you will find us to be the same, we don't sugar coat things or hold your hand. We tell things how it is.

Like I first said you have gotten great advice so far and they already posted what I would have suggested :)
Posted via Mobile Device

SorrelHorse 05-01-2013 04:06 PM

That's an excellent DVD to watch too. Glad I could help and keep us posted :)

nessa1579 05-01-2013 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BarrelRacingLvr (Post 2401746)
You have gotten great advice , but just wanted to point something out. Seen your post on BHW, and just wanted to say that they are t being rude they just don't sugar coat things. They tell things how they are....and that is one place that is filled with many knowledgeable barrel racers.

If you hang around here long enough you will find us to be the same, we don't sugar coat things or hold your hand. We tell things how it is.

Like I first said you have gotten great advice so far and they already posted what I would have suggested :)
Posted via Mobile Device

I wasn't talking about barrelhorseworld lol, other forums really. I don't mind not sugarcoating, it's when people want to throw it in your face that you aren't doing things right when you already know which is why you're asking for help. That's just what gets to me. I love barrelhorseworld, they've always been very helpful.
Posted via Mobile Device