The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Best Way to Trailer Mares and Foals (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/best-way-trailer-mares-foals-185850/)

Horseygirlsmith 05-01-2013 05:37 PM

Best Way to Trailer Mares and Foals

We have two pony mares and foals that we are needed in transport to another pasture 40 minutes away from their current pasture. The mares are both quiet and have been in the tralier a lot. The foals are almost 2 months old and partially halter broke. What is the best way to trailer with both mares and foals?

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 05-01-2013 05:47 PM

make box stalls inside of the trailer and let them travel untied. 40 minutes shouldn't be too much of an issue especially since you said they're quiet mares.

Honeysuga 05-01-2013 05:51 PM

Make sure there are no hazards the foals can hurt themselves on. Make sure to bed the trailer deeply in case a baby falls. Id leave the foals loose in the trailer and tie the mares. Pull over pretty frequently to check on them.

peppersgirl 05-01-2013 09:02 PM

tying some horses and not the others could be a disaster.....If it were me, I would just haul them all loose in the trailer. If the mares get along good, I wouldn't worry about it.

COWCHICK77 05-01-2013 09:19 PM

I agree with Ashleysmardigrasgirl, box stalls are handy. I like using a stock trailer with cut gates so the mare and foal can be in their own "stall".

waresbear 05-01-2013 09:34 PM

I have hauled a mare (same mare all the time), in an open stock trailer with her foals lots. I didn't tie the mare, let her & her kid loose, never a problem.

smrobs 05-01-2013 09:48 PM

I also suggest leaving them loose. If they have been pastured together and are comfortable with each other, you probably wouldn't even need to separate them but if they are strange to each other, then you definitely need to keep them in their own stalls. As Chick said, a stock trailer is best for that.

Horseygirlsmith 05-01-2013 11:02 PM

Great! Thanks for all the information. I forgot to mention that we have a 4 horse slant load with dividers. Could we leave it all open and tie the mares and keep the foals loose?

peppersgirl 05-02-2013 05:34 PM

just leave it open. DON'T TIE THE MARES.

smrobs 05-02-2013 09:52 PM

Agreed, don't tie the mares. If a foal were to go between the mare and the place where she was tied, it could end up tangled in the leadrope.