The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Another new foster (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/another-new-foster-185874/)

FaydesMom 05-01-2013 07:34 PM

Another new foster

4 Attachment(s)
Animal Control picked up another horse yesterday and I get to foster him too. This one I CAN post pictures of because he was picked up wandering on the road and we're trying to find his owners. :-)

I don't know though, even if the owners do claim him, they will be in trouble for neglect anyway. He's not terribly bad, maybe a 4 on the H-body scale, but he has had little grooming or farrier care, and the halter he had on had been there so long he has a dent in his nose and the hair rubbed off. I had to cut it off because there was no way to untie it due to the gunk and grime matting up the knots.

So if anybody in Western Kentucky, SE Missouri, Western Tennessee, or Southern Illinois recognizes this guy, let me know...

Attachment 174482

Attachment 174490

Attachment 174498

And just because I thought it was a cool pic:

Attachment 174506

Endiku 05-01-2013 07:44 PM

What a cutie! Hopefully he's just an avid fence jumper and has an owner out there wondering where on earth their darling boy is. If not, he's got a great place with you and he has such a nice look to him that I'm sure he'd be able to find a home!

Honeysuga 05-01-2013 07:54 PM

Holy flat shoulders batman! He looks like a byb. Maybe he is a case of the owners couldnt care for him and didnt know what else to do but turn him loose? Either way neglect...

spirit88 05-01-2013 11:12 PM

He's soooo cute love those blue eyes. He is pretty skinny but with some tlc and he will be looking good.
Posted via Mobile Device

Roadyy 05-02-2013 08:55 AM

He is starting with more weight than our recent rescue. Glad he is in a situation, for the time being, that will improve his condition.

apachiedragon 05-02-2013 09:04 AM

He'll be gorgeous with some weight and muscle on him. What a sweet face he has.

Wyndrunner 05-02-2013 10:21 AM

Just curious, I just got my first rescue, I have never had one before. He is in the same condition as your guy, about a 4. He is a 4 yr old Thoroughbred Gelding, the vet can't be here till next Monday so in the mean time I am asking everyone what and when to feed him to get him back to his appropriate weight. I have heard so many different things that I am more confused now then before I got him.

The person I got him from was giving him 2 scoops grain a day and hay, no alfalfa. Yet everyone says give him at least a little each day. Totally have no idea what to do with this sweet boy. He is current on all shots and farriered recently. He is the sweetest most responsive boy in my stable and he will do anything for you. I want to do the best thing for him... what are you feeding your guy and when?

Wyndrunner 05-02-2013 10:28 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is a photo of him, his name is Ranger

Roadyy 05-02-2013 10:51 AM

He doesn't look in terrible shape, at least not to the point of Faydesmom's rescue.
I am not an expert and would rather save advice to those who are more versed, but would suggest starting a thread for him to make sure you get ample attention from those who do. Yours may get hidden in Faydesmom's thread and allow you to miss some great advice. hth

FaydesMom 05-02-2013 05:00 PM

@Windrunner: While I agree that you should start a thread about Ranger so you don't get lost in my thread, I will offer a bit of advice.

Hay, Hay and more hay...keep hay in front of him 24/7, a good grass hay is plenty, no need for alfalfa from the way he looks now. He is nice and shiny and looks healthy, so he seems to be doing OK on what he was getting, but he needs a bit more. I would up his current daily grain/feed ration by about half, and spread it out over 3 or 4 feeding through out the day.

If it's a "sweet feed" type of grain, I would look for something that is a bit better to switch him to, but do it gradually.