The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hunters and Hunter Seat Equitation (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/)
-   -   Hunter D vs. Racing D. Hunter Judges Opinion? (http://www.horseforum.com/hunters-hunter-seat-equitation/hunter-d-vs-racing-d-hunter-185898/)

cosmomomo 05-01-2013 08:01 PM

Hunter D vs. Racing D. Hunter Judges Opinion?

So I've recently bought and started riding my horse in a happy mouth racing D bit. I am personally a fan of the happy mouths and I love the look of the racing D's. Before, he went around in a waterford hunter D. I wanted a little bit of a softer mouth piece as he's begun to rush fences and I'm working on retraining his approach to the fences (he was green last year and my emphasis was getting OVER the jumps, now he's learning to be polite to them) He goes just fine in the happy mouth and we've started doing canter poles before and after the jumps, which has been working quite fabulously.

ANYWAYS, I was wondering if the racing D and/or happy mouth bits are frowned upon by hunter judges. I haven't shown him in it yet, nor have I shown him in one before, so I haven't gotten a judges personal opinion. I've heard mixed feelings about them and was wondering if anyone had some insight Sorry for dragging this out, Thanks!

also, this is the bit I just bought: http://www.doversaddlery.com/happy-m...FdCZ4AodjggA0A

He goes better in a more jointed bit because he has a low palate.

countercanter 05-03-2013 06:27 PM

I have seen plenty of people in the show ring with racing dees. I used a Happy Mouth racing dee on my old gelding for a while. There shouldn't be any problem.

smelmel 05-28-2013 03:21 PM

as long as it`s a D or an O ring, you`re clear. alot of hunt classes on`t allow the twisted bits but you can`t tell and everyone usually does it anyways. From a dressage point of view i will always recomend a french link O ring with platting of some sort, the softest bit possible. I don`t like happy mouths as they discourage salivation and hardening of the mouth but it seems to be the only thing that keeps my new mare happy as she has a very touchy mouth and loves to play at the bit.

countercanter 05-28-2013 03:48 PM

you are allowed to use twisted bits in the hunter ring...i know plenty of hunters that go in a slow twist dee or full cheek.
Posted via Mobile Device

cosmomomo 05-28-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by countercanter (Post 2639593)
you are allowed to use twisted bits in the hunter ring...i know plenty of hunters that go in a slow twist dee or full cheek.
Posted via Mobile Device

I have also seen many horses and ponies in the hunter world going around in a double twisted wire full cheek. Makes me cringe :(

countercanter 05-28-2013 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmomomo (Post 2639657)
I have also seen many horses and ponies in the hunter world going around in a double twisted wire full cheek. Makes me cringe :(

Same here.
Posted via Mobile Device

smelmel 05-28-2013 06:40 PM

I don't ride hunters so i'm not completely in with the rules, but alot of local shows around here that lead into trillium don't allow the twists or anything bigger than a snaffle for hack class. i can see why as pulling your horses head down with a honking bit isnt the same as actually working for it. as for actual trillium rules you'd have to look that up.

countercanter 05-28-2013 07:08 PM

oh I was talking about US rules, I don't know what it is out of the US.
Posted via Mobile Device