The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Dress Boots or Field Boots? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/dress-boots-field-boots-18592/)

Jemma 11-30-2008 06:35 PM

Dress Boots or Field Boots?

Hey everyone,

There is a chance that I might be able to compete in some horse shows this Spring and Summer. I have never done horse shows before so I am going to have to buy the full outfit for them. I was just wondering if there was a specific class that Dress Boots and Field Boots are used for. For example would one use one for one class but not the other? I'd probably just be in flat classes, walk/trot or walk/trot/canter and such. Is there one that I should or should not get or doesn't it really matter?

Thanks!

PoptartShop 11-30-2008 06:56 PM

I wear field boots to a lot of my shows (like, for walk-trot-canter classes), & they don't ever seem to mind. :D But dress boots are good too, can't go wrong with them either. I don't think there's a specific class, it's really your choice.

Jemma 11-30-2008 07:30 PM

Thanks! I thought that might be the case but I wanted to make sure before I bought anything :)

LauraB 11-30-2008 08:37 PM

I like field boots better! They are easier to get on.

BeauReba 11-30-2008 09:58 PM

Dress boots are usually used in dressage, I think. I have field boots and they are easy to put on! They're a bit big for me but they work. I don't need boot pulls (although I should probably use them to help extend the life of my boots) or any help getting them on and off.

Jemma 11-30-2008 10:30 PM

Thanks for the information! I thought field boots looked like they might be eaiser to get on and off.

appylover31803 11-30-2008 10:51 PM

Dress boots are for dressage (no lace in the front) and field boots are used for everything else.

I have a pair of the Ariat Heritage II field boots (with the zipper) they are by far the best, most comfortable (after you break them in) boots. I don't currently show, but am thinking about it for the spring/summer.

jazzyrider 11-30-2008 10:53 PM

if you are doing dressage you definitely want dress/top boots

for jumping, sporting etc field/ankle boots are fine

Jemma 11-30-2008 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by appylover31803 (Post 201772)
Dress boots are for dressage (no lace in the front) and field boots are used for everything else.

Haha, makes sense! Field boots it is then :D

Quote:

Originally Posted by appylover31803 (Post 201772)
I have a pair of the Ariat Heritage II field boots (with the zipper) they are by far the best, most comfortable (after you break them in) boots. I don't currently show, but am thinking about it for the spring/summer.

Thanks for tip! I'll look into those :-)

BeauReba 12-01-2008 12:26 AM

You can use field boots for lower level dressage too if you get interested in it!