The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Baby Mice (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/baby-mice-185946/)

CowgirlUp7243 05-01-2013 09:57 PM

Baby Mice

Ok, so I figured this would be an ok question to ask on here because we are generally not just horse people but animal people :). So I was doing some yard work in my backyard and stumbled across a nest of 4 baby mice, they are like 2 days old. I didn't touch them and im going to wait to see if the mother comes back tomorrow. But if she doesn't I don't want the little babies to die so I figured I could take care of them.... but I'm not sure how. Have any of you raised mice before? Any tips? Also would it be alright to release them back into the woods after I've raised them because my parents will NOT allow me to keep them as pets. PLEASE HELP :-|

peppersgirl 05-01-2013 10:07 PM

Google is your friend in these times...BUT If you raise them they wont know how to fend for themselves and will die if you re-release them. so Either try to save them and then keep them or just let em go.

Phly 05-01-2013 10:14 PM

Hmmm, sounds like somebody hasnt had mice eat tack or wiring yet.

I'd off the lil rotten buggers. Then go put out some traps or poison. Mice are the root of all evil.
Posted via Mobile Device

CowgirlUp7243 05-01-2013 10:16 PM

lol well Phly i'm felling some pent up anger here lol.

CowgirlUp7243 05-01-2013 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phly (Post 2404290)
Hmmm, sounds like somebody hasnt had mice eat tack or wiring yet.

I'd off the lil rotten buggers. Then go put out some traps or poison. Mice are the root of all evil.
Posted via Mobile Device

and you would probably not be saying that if u knew how cute and tiny they are :(

flytobecat 05-01-2013 10:22 PM

I don't know about mice, but we tried saving some baby squirrels when I was a kid. They had to be fed with an eye dropper every 2 hours around the clock.
Even though we did that they all still died.
If their eyes aren't open you probably aren't going to be able to save them. Talk to you small animal vet, he might have some ideas.

Northernstar 05-01-2013 10:26 PM

You're on the right track, as far as leaving them be - every single Spring at the Nature Centers where I've worked we would get calls from people who "Found a nest of baby rabbits and they think they're abandoned", or some people would come to the Center with a shoebox of baby rabbits, thinking they were orphaned. (rabbits, btw, are not rodents like mice but similar enough) What should one really do in their case and yours? Absolutely leave them be. Rabbit mothers as well as mice will very often leave the babies for a few hours to go and nibble grass/food for themselves, and return to the nest to feed the well-kept young. If, for any reason nature has it that the young mice don't survive, know that they provided nourishment for a myriad of other animals above them in the food chain. It's the way of nature, in it's perfection. :)

Phly 05-01-2013 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CowgirlUp7243 (Post 2404338)
lol well Phly i'm felling some pent up anger here lol.

Yes you are. Mice have cost thousands of $$ over the years. I despise them completely as anything other then bird food.
Posted via Mobile Device

aforred 05-02-2013 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phly (Post 2404490)
Yes you are. Mice have cost thousands of $$ over the years. I despise them completely as anything other then bird food.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hey, now. I take offense to that! My cats love them, too.

usandpets 05-02-2013 01:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phly (Post 2404490)
Posted via Mobile Device

They're good for snake food too.

A little off topic but our Rottweilers seem to be better mice catchers than our cats.
Posted via Mobile Device