The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Memorials (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-memorials/)
-   -   The End came too soon:( (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-memorials/end-came-too-soon-186058/)

barrelbeginner 05-01-2013 11:10 PM

The End came too soon:(

Well, let me start by saying first- the vet would have been no help. If it was my personal horse I would have. but they would have just told us to do what we were doing...

My brother got Duke from the sale maybe 2 months ago:/ Such a short time to be with us.. The previous owners were trail people(kinda like a dudestring) and had people riding him for 8+ hours a day.. and he was ALL SKIN AND BONES.. literally every bone. So my brother bought him and he was stayingat our house for now.. He is on the older side.. and he was goin gto fatten him up and give hijm to his son.

Everything was fine this morning, fed and he neighed and munched on his hay..

I, not feeling well staying inside all day sleeping while my parents were at horse. at 5pm my dad went outside. and said Duke was almost dead;(

I went out and he lifted his head a but, and neighed.. I broke down.. ran and grabbed a halter and tried to get him up. But it was too late:( Duke died today:( and I feel so bad.. Like its my fault:( Arg.. this is a horrible part to owning animals:(... Im only 16 now.. and feel like I lost a part of my family.. I was sitting there talking and petting his head as he took his last breaths.. trying not to cry.. trying to just tell him everything was going to be okay..

Tol dhim sorry a number of times as well:( and I am Im sorry. that I didnt notice something was wrong. I feel like I didnt try hard enough... :(

Well tomorrow. I think my dad and my brother( <<owner) are going to bury duke.. Which is going to be hard.. saying that there is 2 feet of snow:/
I will try to find a picture of Duke:/ but I didnt get alot..:/

RIP Duke:) you're free now buddy..</3

TheLauren 05-02-2013 12:18 AM

I'm so sorry. it is incredibly difficult to lose an animal.
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 05-02-2013 01:08 AM

You let him know he was loved as he moved on in his journey. RIP Duke, so sorry Stacie, you only did good by this horse, he called to you to be with him.

Jennakaaate 05-02-2013 02:39 AM

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know it hurts. :/

Seven Red Roses 05-02-2013 02:43 AM

I'm very sorry. Take comfort that your family gave him a well-deserved period of kindness at the end of his life.

SorrelHorse 05-02-2013 03:12 AM

Very sorry, but he will be happy where he is now. You can take comfort in that. You let him know he was loved.

wetrain17 05-02-2013 10:58 AM

I am so very sorry for you loss. At least Duke got the love, compassion, and attention he deserved before his passing.

Tobysthebesthorseever 05-03-2013 10:53 AM

I'm so sorry. *tears in eyes*
Such a short time to be with him.
At least he's not in pain anymore. .....

Nokotaheaven 05-04-2013 01:58 AM

I am so so so sorry for your loss.... :(
It is good to know though that for the last 2 months of his life you gave him a much much happier and loving life than the one he was used to...
In a way I kind of know how you feel too... 6 years ago I got my soulmate horse... She had had an abusive life... We had her for 10 months, and on a weekend that I happened to choose to spend at a friend's house instead of with her, she died.... I blame myself for choosing my friend over her then... I wish I could have been there in her last few moments so I could tell her how much I love her, and so she wouldn't have died alone....

HollyBubbles 05-06-2013 04:16 AM

I'm so sorry about Duke BarrelBeginner, but please take pride and comfort in the fact that that would have been the happiest two months of Duke's life, and he passed knowing that he had a family who loved and cared for him.

This brings tears to my eyes BB, not only did I lose my 15yo Black Lab yesterday, but just over two years ago I lost my heart horse in the same way as Duke.
She was fine the night before, but when I come out the next morning she was laying down fighting and failing to sit up, I too, ran to get a halter, and my dad. But she passed in our arms as we lifted her to a sitting position. It's still a very raw pain, but deep down I know it was her time to go.

Hugs to you BB, i'm very sorry for your loss, you've had another angel added to look over you now, and i'm sure he will look over you from over the rainbow bridge.