The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Parenting (http://www.horseforum.com/parenting/)
-   -   Fostering and community support. (http://www.horseforum.com/parenting/fostering-community-support-186090/)

AlexS 05-02-2013 12:17 AM

Fostering and community support.

1 Attachment(s)
I shared this in the over 40s thread, but it has been making me cry, so I wanted to share it on a wider level.

I am a foster parent, and something amazing happened tonight.

One of the foster kids, I call him kid 1 as I can't identify him by name, plays baseball. The team has a rule, you are not allowed to support an individual player, you can only support the team. So instead of yelling go Kid 1, I am supposed to yell, go Boone! (team name).

Whatever, I have been yelling kid 1s name since the first game. If the coach wants to talk to me about that, I will hear him, but then he'd better hear me, my kid 1 doesn't have 3 generations of people there to support him, he's never had that - ain't nothing in the world going to stop me from cheering him. Coach has had the sense not to talk to me about it. :lol: Smart guy.

But a few games ago, a parent came to me and asked if he is my kid. I explained he is a foster kid of mine. They were confused, I get that, kid 1 is black, I am white. No one else shouts individual names, and I do it to such a level that my kid head nods me - he is totally saying, I hear you, please stop.

At tonight's game, every parent there yelled my kids name. I think it was every single parent there from our team. They are not yelling their own kids names, when their kids come up, it's clear who the parents are, as they yell 'go Boone', but when my kid 1 came up, everyone was yelling his personal name and supporting him.

I had tears running down my face as I turned and applauded them. I was unable to compose myself enough to talk to more than one of them, but I will get them all at future games, and thank them.

Kid 1, missed his first ball as he just turned to the crowd with his mouth open. He could not believe what was happening.

I can share this pic from the game tonight, as heck you can't even tell his race. I wish I had been composed enough to record them all cheering for him, but I wasn't.

Coolest experience of my life.

JaphyJaphy 05-02-2013 12:21 AM

What a wonderfully supportive thing for those parents to do! Reminds me of the saying "It takes a village to raise a child". Thanks for sharing!

cakemom 05-02-2013 12:25 AM

That is awesome!!
Posted via Mobile Device

AlexS 05-02-2013 12:30 AM

Agreed Japhy, I am still crying about it. I can't believe they all stepped up like that. I am so in awe.

I don't know the parents, as I don't have kids, only fosters, and so my kids didn't grow up with these parents. When I go to the games, I try to sit next to the same people as we are talking on and off, but heck I don't even know their names.

The level of love that was shown tonight just made me plain cry. I'd like to be their friends but how do I look sane, going up to someone I don't know, holding back tears and basically saying be my friend and thank you.

kitten_Val 05-02-2013 09:06 AM

Alex, it was awesome. The support from other people is very very important for every kid. I'm sure it's one of those special moments he'll remember through his life.

wetrain17 05-02-2013 10:56 AM

YOU are an amazing person Alex. It takes a lot of strength on your end to take in a foster child (and their end), let alone four. You are the type of person who inspires others to go beyond the comfort level and offer their support.

AlexS 05-02-2013 11:46 PM

Thanks everyone! :)

Itybty 05-02-2013 11:49 PM

As someone who is about halfway through the process of becoming a foster parent myself, this story just made my day. What a great crowd of people!

AlexS 05-03-2013 12:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Itybty (Post 2414818)
As someone who is about halfway through the process of becoming a foster parent myself, this story just made my day. What a great crowd of people!

Oh really? That's great. What types of kids are you planning to take?

MHFoundation Quarters 05-03-2013 08:50 AM

That is awesome Alex! It gives me the warm fuzzies, I can only imagine how proud you both feel.