The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   is he mine? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/he-mine-186122/)

TheLauren 05-02-2013 12:46 AM

is he mine?

I work at a backyard barn in exchange for riding TJ. I have to supply my own tack and products. I am allowed to ride him whenever I want. I was told to give him all my love. And I do! When talking with people I call him mine. if people ask what animals I have I mention a horse.

do other people do this? is it misleading?
Posted via Mobile Device

BarrelracingArabian 05-02-2013 12:49 AM

No he is not yours. They still own him you are just basically leasing him.

stevenson 05-02-2013 12:51 AM

he is only yours when you have a bill of sale in your hand , or a paper that they have signed to horse over to you .

waresbear 05-02-2013 12:54 AM

He is your lease horse, you don't have ownership, meaning you can't move him to another barn or sell him. He is yours to ride and care for.

TheLauren 05-02-2013 12:55 AM

I obviously realize I don't own him, hence me never referring to ownership. I'm talking more about how I refer to him. if you lease a horse are you inclined to call the horse yours?

ex: a friend was visiting me at the barn and I pointed to tj and said "that one is mine"
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 05-02-2013 12:59 AM

Hmmmm, TJ is yours, as in your lease horse.

Skyseternalangel 05-02-2013 01:00 AM

Don't do that. Say you are leasing him.

kiwi79 05-02-2013 01:20 AM

When I leased a horse years ago I just said he was mine but I kept him at a different property - obviously if people asked something like how long had I owned him then I would tell them I was just leasing. I don't think it really matters if you say he is yours, does it? The only issue I could see would be if you said it when the owners were around and they took exception to it.

DraftyAiresMum 05-02-2013 01:42 AM

I did what basically amounted to a glorified feed lease on my old gelding. Even his owner called him mine. "Your horse decided to roll in the mud." "Did you get a chance to lunge your horse today?" (I worked exercising three or four horses other than my gelding, as well as mucking all the stalls and feeding at night).

As long as you let people know at some point that you're leasing him, but don't own him, I don't see a problem with it.
Posted via Mobile Device

verona1016 05-02-2013 02:16 AM

I don't see a problem with it either. When I leased, I would call the horse "mine" if it made sense in the conversation. Most people don't need to know if the horse is legally mine or not (BO, vet, farrier, etc are obviously exceptions) If someone found out I rode and asked if I had a horse, I'd answer that I was leasing one; if someone asked what I was doing over the weekend, I'd say I was riding my horse.