The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moldy hay = :(

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  QtrHorse 
#1 ·
I found mold on the side of about 5 flaked of Lily's current bale of hay (I keep 3 bales at a time stacked on a pallet on the side of her stall for the BO to feed) I checked it because I noticed that she left a lot of hay from breakfast when I went out to clean today and while she was her normal self, she ususally "cleans up" the grub! I always check when a new bale gets opened, and if I'm doing my own feeding I check every flake I feed....just a quick sniff and general texture check, just because one end can be fine and like I just found out.....one end wasn't! I didn't get mad at the BO, but if I was feeding I would do a check of every dang flake I was feeding! You may now procede to tell me I'm an anal spaz lol........and I guess well fed horses won't eat it like Lily didn't, but moldy hay still freaks me out!:shock:

#2 ·
yeah it would freak me out also! ewwwww
I'd suggest having a talk with the BO, not to say "you fed my horse moldy hay, shame on you", but more of a "hey I was wondering if you could just take a quick look at the hay before feeding it to my horse, for I noticed last time I was there that the flake I looked at was a little moldy" (so you aren't blaming the BO for giving her moldy food and making her upset.)

#4 ·
Typically the only time a horse will eat moldy hay is if they are extremely hungry and there is nothing else to eat. That being said, I would talk to the BO and show him/her the condition of the hay. You just never know when your horse decides to grab a little too much of it. If for nothing else he/she is paying for poor quality hay if it is all like that. If it's only a bail or two, sometimes that can't be helped.

#5 ·
I bought 16 1400lb round bales last year. There was mold in almost all of them. I made the supplier come and take every one of them back and bring me some that had been cut at a different time. We had a very wet summer last year so it was a real problem. Mine will not eat it and I had to burn the few bales that we tried. Ever burn a big round bale? It takes days. It was a real pain, so I know what your going through.

#6 ·
Fire fire (click to enlarge)

Hehe I lost a hay supplier by returning a bale not only that I lost the person baling my hay ... not good but it worked out and I am happier with my second guy...

I watch each flake and IMO any good horse owner would do that ... I know when I worked at a boarding barn years ago we were told to check every flake and the BO fired somebody when she caught them throwing more then one flake at a time... I don't worry too much about the mold mine won't eat it PERIOD ... I do check everyflake when I use sqs but sometimes I miss and they leave it lay or poop on it

#8 ·
Wow, sorry to hear that! We can't burn even if I wanted to due to the dryness of our county, the amount of leaves on the ground, and the wind lately. I think a fire now could set the whole zip code blazing!

I'm feeding my three from my own round bails but I have the bail I'm using in one section of the barn and I take what I need from it each feeding. That way I can monitor any problems with the hay.

#10 ·
I use the small bales and if I have any problems my supplier comes and takes them back and brings me new ones. He always tries to give me top quality as he knows I will return them. It is best to work out the "return policy" in advance of a delivery. My horses usually wouldn't eat a moldy section but I can tell right away by the weight and density of the bale (both straw and hay) if there is a problem. It is more difficult to detect with a large round bale until you open it up. Just ask who ever is feeding to do a quick look and smell test for you before feeding.
Wow, sorry to hear about a fire. I am always worrying about it as we live in a traditional Swiss farmhouse, built in 1900. The barn is part of the house and alot of it is wood, the cows lived on the first floor and the occupants on the 2nd and 3rd. It would go up like a torch. We have a completely no smoking farm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.