The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Can you jump with vision problems? (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/can-you-jump-vision-problems-186202/)

kitten_Val 05-02-2013 08:13 AM

Can you jump with vision problems?

I apologize if the question sounds kinda odd, but... Can you event/jump successfully if you have just one eye? From what I've heard it really disturbs your "distance feeling", so can you still manage the correct approach to the jump and jump itself? Are there any examples out there?

Muppetgirl 05-02-2013 08:17 AM

If the one eye a person has is good I couldn't see why not (gee no pun intended!) although you'd have difficulty with peripheral vision I'd guess?

kitten_Val 05-02-2013 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muppetgirl (Post 2408482)
If the one eye a person has is good I couldn't see why not (gee no pun intended!) although you'd have difficulty with peripheral vision I'd guess?

I think so. And from what I know you have problems approximating the distance too.

gypsygirl 05-02-2013 01:56 PM

yes you can !
i can see out of both eyes, although what i can see out of my left eye is blurry and distorted. my brain actually will shut off the vision from my left eye because the vision is so poor and my eyes dont know how to work together[bc of wearing a patch when i was little]. i do have trouble with depth perception, but i do fine.

my trainer sometimes gets mad at me for not looking at the jumps, but honestly once ive jumped a fence once its easier for me to feel out where it is instead of looking at the jump. i dont know how to explain it.

i also have trouble telling if im heading straight at the jump and my poor horse has to jump at a huge angle.

kitten_Val 05-03-2013 10:30 AM

Thanks, gypsy!

Ashleysmardigrasgirl 05-03-2013 11:48 AM

I don't think having one eye would bar you from jumping or eventing. It could make it harder to be competitive at it but, the body is amazing at adaptations.

My step mom has zero depth perception, legitimately only sees 2D. If she were to get pulled over and asked to do the dui test she auto passes because of her vision impairment...

That didn't stop her from doing barrel racing, reining, heeling, heading, reining, pole bending, roping, etc... and unless she tells you, you hardly even know she's almost blind, LOL.

JaphyJaphy 05-03-2013 12:47 PM

I think that it would likely affect your depth perception to some degree, but that you'd probably also learn to compensate for that. It might take a little longer to get the hang of things, but I'm sure it's possible!

ponyboy 05-04-2013 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsygirl (Post 2410594)
yes you can !
i can see out of both eyes, although what i can see out of my left eye is blurry and distorted. my brain actually will shut off the vision from my left eye because the vision is so poor and my eyes dont know how to work together

Wow, I thought I was the only person in the world with that problem! My right eye is extremely nearsighted so I only actually use my left. The doctor says I must have been born that way because wearing glasses didn't help. I remember in high school I was the only one who could look into a microscope without closing the other eye, lol.

I could jump, but I think from the way my instructor used to describe courses that I didn't see them the way most people do.

Free Flyer 05-05-2013 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kitten_Val (Post 2408434)
I apologize if the question sounds kinda odd, but... Can you event/jump successfully if you have just one eye? From what I've heard it really disturbs your "distance feeling", so can you still manage the correct approach to the jump and jump itself? Are there any examples out there?

I don't see why not.

People with one eye can drive a car. There will be some adjustments needed but if they can overcome the distance perception and know their peripheral vision will be limited then I can see no reason why not.

Just check out the Special Olympics to see people that have overcome almost insurmountable obstacles.

All a matter of will.

kitten_Val 05-06-2013 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Free Flyer (Post 2433738)
People with one eye can drive a car.

That depends on a state, actually. I know several states where you can't drive if you vision worse than 20/70 (or something like that). :wink:

Folks, thanks for the opinions and insights!