The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Ladies ranch saddles (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/ladies-ranch-saddles-186242/)

horseluver250 05-02-2013 10:36 AM

Ladies ranch saddles

Does anyone know of any other saddles besides Mccall that makes a ladies saddle? Something lightweight with a narrower seat?

Saddlebag 05-02-2013 11:45 PM

Do you need a roping strong saddle or just a ladie's saddle with a narrower twist?

smrobs 05-02-2013 11:59 PM

That's what I'm wondering. When I picture "ranch saddle", I think of something that would stand up to roping and dragging heavy cattle. You need a heavy saddle for that type of work to avoid breaking a tree or pinching a horse.

toto 05-03-2013 12:41 AM

Ladies saddles are different from mens saddles? I thought they were unisex?

boots 05-03-2013 12:43 AM

Unless you get a Laport tree in one. Those saddles are light and hold up to everything some of my friends who have them have done. Lots of roping grown stock.

horseluver250 05-03-2013 12:55 PM

No I don't want a roping saddle. I trail ride but prefer the look of ranch saddle. I'd like to have a mccall Lady wade, just haven't seen a used one in my size, so thought maybe I could find something very similar.

Dustbunny 05-03-2013 01:21 PM

Research Circle Y. The Julie Goodnight line has a narrow twist on some of the models.
I ride a Tucker Plantation and it has a narrow twist. I wouldn't ride anything that didn't have a narrow twist. So much more comfortable!!!!

Saddlebag 05-03-2013 01:46 PM

Toto, a ladies is a bit narrower in the twist, where your legs sit. That's because the bones in a female come off the hip narrowing to the knee. A male's come off straighter. If a woman is quite flexible then she'll find both comfortable.

COWCHICK77 05-06-2013 12:45 AM

50 Attachment(s)
I agree with boots on the Laport trees, lightweight and sturdy.
If you are looking to drop a few bucks and not sure what size you looking for, but I have had several Tip's saddles. If you can find a used one I say go for it. Usually you can find some on Ranch World Ads. I love the seat he puts in them, the twist won't mean sh!t if the ground seat is no good, much like riding a fruit crate!

aztrailrider 05-07-2013 05:17 PM

Take a look at the Sharon Saare saddles. They can be made very Western looking, but are still light. I ride one with ultralight rigging, only about 22 pounds. My husband rides one with a Wade type horn, his is pretty light, too. At least I can hoist it up on his tall horse!