The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Flatwork Exercises? (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/flatwork-exercises-186266/)

ponyluver420 05-02-2013 11:21 AM

Flatwork Exercises?

What are some good flatwork exercises to help build you and your horses strength in jumping?:-)

Live2Ride15 05-04-2013 07:03 PM

Two-point in walk trot and canter every time you ride will do wonders for your position. However don't have any ideas right now to build your horse's strength, sorry.
Posted via Mobile Device

ponyluver420 05-04-2013 07:07 PM

Oh, his strength isn't a prob, but he's 20ish, and even though I lease him I want him 2 stay fit. ;) Thx 4 the suggestion, I do that in most of my rides, but will work on extending amount of time to help strengthen my legs. I'll also ask my riding instructor for excercises

itswes 05-06-2013 11:47 PM

For you to strengthen yourself that is easy: no irons, no irons, no irons!!! Posting trot and two-point are the hardest to do without irons. Cantering is also good, as well as practicing harder things such as the counter-canter without irons.

To help keep your horse fit, counter-canter will help him too. It will help him practice staying balanced and using himself. To keep him fit make sure you make him work when you hack/flat him. Don't let him plod around on at a slow pace with no frame or bend. Make him engage his back-end and keep impulsion. Practice extensions and collections at each gait as well. This will keep him supple and adjustable for when you jump. Transition work is good too as well as shapes (Don't just go around and around the ring - do some circles, reverses, quarter lines).

Hope that helps :)

ponyluver420 05-07-2013 12:04 AM

Ok! Actually, in january, my riding instructor makes us ride a portion of our lesson w/out stirrups, posting, two point, sitting, cantering. I also ride bareback once or twice every two weeks, posting, polework etc. thx 4 suggestions on keeping my pony engaged!

ponyluver420 05-30-2013 02:04 AM

Anybody else? In the horse ownership thread I posted, lots of people ranted at me about how many exercises i can do to improve jumping, and I got 2 replies to this. *rolls eyes*
People who posted, thanks a ton, I had a lesson today, and over the past few weeks I had/have been trying to incorporate more of the stuff recommended into my normal riding routine, and I know I have improved.