The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Which (English) bit is your favorite? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/english-bit-your-favorite-186362/)

Hoofprints in the Sand 05-02-2013 02:54 PM

Which (English) bit is your favorite?

I know it depends greatly on your horse as well as your disclipline of choice and your level of riding...BUUUUT that aside, what is your fave bit to use in general and why?

jaydee 05-02-2013 03:01 PM

Wherever possible I like to stick with a plain and simple loose ring snaffle, if I have a horse that doesn't like the single joint then I try a French link or a shaped Mullen mouth Happy Mouth bit - but you have to keep an eye on them for signs of chewing

Lexiie 05-02-2013 03:06 PM

My mare LOVES loose rings, doesn't matter if it's a snaffle or a french link. I prefer my french link because it's all copper and I think she goes a little better in it.
I always worry about a snaffle, because I don't know if she has a low pallet or not, I don't think she does, but oh well.

JustDressageIt 05-02-2013 03:07 PM

Sprenger loose ring.

My horse, however, prefers a simple, inexpensive, single joint Dee.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hoofprints in the Sand 05-02-2013 03:56 PM

I hear a lot of loves for the loose ring! I may have to give that a try...for those of you who have tried a loose ring vs. dee or eggbutt or another type of cheek piece with your horses, how do you feel they compare, just curious?

I've always ridden my horse in a dee ring french link, but lately she's been showing some signs of resistance (rooting, excessive chomping of the bit when asked to really work off her hind) and I'm thinking it may be time to do some experimenting with the mouthpiece and possibly cheek piece just to see if her preference as we move up with her training has changed.

Corporal 05-02-2013 03:58 PM

Full cheek snaffle

Lexiie 05-02-2013 05:39 PM

hoofprints- I started my mare in a fullcheek snaffle then went to a loose ring french link. The biggest thing I noticed was her putting her head into the bridle, more accepting of the bit, as well as looking for it a little bit more.
I recently purchased a dee ring french link, and my mare doesn't like it. I think she doesn't like the pressure directly on her face like that.
She's fine with a halter or a rope halter, bosal or whatever.
Posted via Mobile Device

waresbear 05-02-2013 06:37 PM

French link.

caseymyhorserocks 05-02-2013 10:37 PM

I like loose ring double jointed bits. I have noticed Casey become a lot more accepting of the contact and not bracing as much. I don't like the single jointed bits action as much (at least for most horses) because pressure on reins jabs the bit into the roof of the horse's mouth. Depends on the horse, of course.

Sharpie 05-02-2013 11:00 PM

Eggbutt french link. My guy tosses his head at any contact in a single jointed bit- put the french link in and that behavior 'magically' disappears. Don't really know how to tell if a horse has a low palate, but that seems to fit the bill from what folks say.