The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Starting a Horse Breeding Business (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/starting-horse-breeding-business-186450/)

Jalter 05-02-2013 06:52 PM

Starting a Horse Breeding Business

I am thinking of starting a horse breeding business. I'm just thinking of different options for my future. I will be going to USU for my BS - emphasis on Equine management, breeding, and science.

I understand that breeding is a controversial topic. I did not plan on being the typical backyard breeder. The area my breeding business will be in has a large horse community. There are quite a few Dressage competitors, but no Dressage horse breeders in the area. This is why I think a Dressage horse breeding farm will do well; considering everything is done the right way.

These are the plans I have thought up, can you please tell me if it sounds good or if I should change anything? If I were to do everything right, what are your opinions on this? This is just the rough draft of my plans, so I am open to ideas. Anything I should change? Thanks.

1.) Find one good mare, trained or untrained. She will have breeding quality bloodlines, conformation, and temperament. If untrained, I will train her in Dressage.

2.) I will show her, and after she shows a successful career, I will breed her to a proven stallion.

3.) I will raise the foal, and train it in Dressage. I will not sell it as a foal, because I want people to see how successful foals from my mare can be.

4.) After winning a few competitions, it will go up for sale. If the foal is in high demand. I will buy another broodmare with the same requirements as my first mare.

5.) I will repeat the process with that mare, then buy more mares depending on how popular the foals are. If I do it this way, I won't have a ton of foals that can't find homes. I will only have as many that are likely to sell.

After the first two foals, I will give the option of selling the foal after weaning. I will train the foals (and raise the price as nessesary) until they are sold.

toto 05-02-2013 07:22 PM

if i was gonna start a breeding business-- id start with a champion stud that people would pay for breedings to.. then id get a few champion mares that also have show winning blood then breed the two and the foals would sell themselves.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 05-02-2013 07:28 PM

If you want to make a small fortune in horses, start with a large one.

Jalter 05-02-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dreamcatcher Arabians (Post 2412914)
If you want to make a small fortune in horses, start with a large one.

Good one xD I was thinking of starting out with one mare though. That way, if no one wants the foal, I will keep it. I can handle two horses no problem. But if the foal is in high demand, then i can see how in demand it is. I will use that to decide to continue or not :P

JustDressageIt 05-02-2013 07:51 PM

What's your 5 and 10 year plan? Buying a mare, training it up to be adequate enough in the show ring to look at breeding is going to take years. Let's say 3-5 on the conservative side. Breed her, looking at a year to foal. Then 3 years till it's of riding age (maybe 4), and another 2-5 years to get that foal up to snuff. So 9 years on the "fast track" side, 15 years on the long side.

... that's a HUGE time commitment for ONE foal.
Breeding businesses generally look at producing prospects for people, not raising one foal to show and campaign then sell at a time.

Jalter 05-02-2013 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JustDressageIt (Post 2413058)
What's your 5 and 10 year plan? Buying a mare, training it up to be adequate enough in the show ring to look at breeding is going to take years. Let's say 3-5 on the conservative side. Breed her, looking at a year to foal. Then 3 years till it's of riding age (maybe 4), and another 2-5 years to get that foal up to snuff. So 9 years on the "fast track" side, 15 years on the long side.

... that's a HUGE time commitment for ONE foal.
Breeding businesses generally look at producing prospects for people, not raising one foal to show and campaign then sell at a time.

Good point, but I didn't plan on this being something that makes me a famous breeder in a year or two. I'm going to have another job while I do this though. In a perfect world, after a few years I could quit and be happy living on the money from the breeding business, but then again I'm not stupid enough to count on that before I even start.

I may have the foal up for sale as a weanling, depending on how interested people are. I may get another mare or two sooner if people like the idea of owning the horses I produce.

Left Hand Percherons 05-02-2013 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalter (Post 2412986)
Good one xD I was thinking of starting out with one mare though. That way, if no one wants the foal, I will keep it. I can handle two horses no problem. But if the foal is in high demand, then i can see how in demand it is. I will use that to decide to continue or not :P

The problem here is how do you know if it's a good nick? It might be one on paper but that doesn't mean that the resulting foal will be. How do you know if the mare and stallion will put their stamp on their foals without producing a bunch of them? You will have a minimum of 5 years invested in the first foal before you even sortof know what it's worth. There probably isn't anyone set up because you don't have to anymore. Everyone can AI. Those that can afford it will import. The other part of the equation is people aren't going to throw their $$ at a newbe or rising star. You are better off putting your time and money to establishing your brand and putting your stamp on the industry. Than you can do whatever you want to.

Jalter 05-02-2013 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toto (Post 2412826)
if i was gonna start a breeding business-- id start with a champion stud that people would pay for breedings to.. then id get a few champion mares that also have show winning blood then breed the two and the foals would sell themselves.

Owning a stallion may be a good idea. I am still debating. Before I start this, I still need to get more experience in every department. I definitely need experience dealing with stallions, because I never have before.

Jalter 05-02-2013 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Left Hand Percherons (Post 2413146)
The problem here is how do you know if it's a good nick? It might be one on paper but that doesn't mean that the resulting foal will be. How do you know if the mare and stallion will put their stamp on their foals without producing a bunch of them? You will have a minimum of 5 years invested in the first foal before you even sortof know what it's worth. There probably isn't anyone set up because you don't have to anymore. Everyone can AI. Those that can afford it will import. The other part of the equation is people aren't going to throw their $$ at a newbe or rising star. You are better off putting your time and money to establishing your brand and putting your stamp on the industry. Than you can do whatever you want to.

What do you mean by establishing my own brand and putting a stamp?

toto 05-02-2013 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalter (Post 2413154)
Owning a stallion may be a good idea. I am still debating. Before I start this, I still need to get more experience in every department. I definitely need experience dealing with stallions, because I never have before.

If you want more experience with horse breeding barns.. go hang out at a successful breeding barn and see how its run- ask many questions.. even if they tell you 'you ask too many questions' ..ask more!

If you can- go visit as many as you can- ask as many questions as you can and gain as much information as you can from as many people that run a successful breeding facility as you possibly can.. then get you a good horse.