The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Stallions and Broodmares (http://www.horseforum.com/stallions-broodmares/)
-   -   Socializing a Stallion (http://www.horseforum.com/stallions-broodmares/socializing-stallion-186522/)

Jalter 05-02-2013 09:43 PM

Socializing a Stallion

In the future, I am debating on starting a horse breeding stable. I understand I have a lot to learn, so please don't assume I am starting this tomorrow with still so much to learn haha.

I understand that stallions are destined to live a lonely life. They tend to be aggressive towards geldings, and obviously can't be kept with mares a majority of the time. In my opinion, horses should have as much social interaction as possible; separated from other horses by stud proof fences doesn't seem to be enough to make the horse happy in my opinion.

Basically, I'd like to be able to turn all of my horses out at one time. The turnouts will separate the stallion from the mares. If at all possible, I would like to have at least one other horse in the stallion's turnout. Then again, I do not want to endanger the gelding that is put with him.

What would it take to have a stallion get along with a gelding? If I bought a stallion as a young colt and turned him out with an older gelding, would he grow up to be 'nicer' towards other geldings?

How would I go about introducing a grown stallion to a gelding?

Thanks.

waresbear 05-02-2013 09:46 PM

I wouldn't risk it, but stallions that have fenceline contact with mares is perfectly fine from what I have seen.

NBEventer 05-02-2013 09:54 PM

I worked on a farm that had their stallions turned out with geldings no issues at all. I even worked at one farm that had their two stallions turned out together in a large field and there was never any problems at all. Not something I would personally want to do, but it seemed to work for them.

A stallion out with geldings if they are introduced early enough in the stallions life in a large field can work. This is something I would introduce early in their lives though. As in I raised the colt and kept him out with others. Then he doesn't know any other life. Something I would still watch closely though.

toto 05-02-2013 09:55 PM

The gelding we now have used to be out with a stud another 2 geldings and 3 mares.. oh he was out with babies too.. a colt and 2 fillies.. lol.

its all about the studs demeanor.. i wouldnt put a highstrung stud out with them but a calmer easy goin stud-yes.. and yes- id put him out in the herd as a young colt.

Dreamcatcher Arabians 05-02-2013 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalter (Post 2413554)
In the future, I am debating on starting a horse breeding stable. I understand I have a lot to learn, so please don't assume I am starting this tomorrow with still so much to learn haha.

I understand that stallions are destined to live a lonely life. They tend to be aggressive towards geldings, and obviously can't be kept with mares a majority of the time. In my opinion, horses should have as much social interaction as possible; separated from other horses by stud proof fences doesn't seem to be enough to make the horse happy in my opinion.

Basically, I'd like to be able to turn all of my horses out at one time. The turnouts will separate the stallion from the mares. If at all possible, I would like to have at least one other horse in the stallion's turnout. Then again, I do not want to endanger the gelding that is put with him.

What would it take to have a stallion get along with a gelding? If I bought a stallion as a young colt and turned him out with an older gelding, would he grow up to be 'nicer' towards other geldings?

How would I go about introducing a grown stallion to a gelding?

Thanks.

My stallion(s) are in the barn, right next their mares and if they get along with each other (through the wire separators) they can stall next to each other. Most of the time, I keep them right next to the mares, open or not. They go out to pasture with whomever is in foal until the foal arrives. I don't put more than one stallion in a pasture at a time but I might put one in with 3 or 4 bred mares. When open the mares and foals hang out together, and if I have a gelding, they hang out with the open mares. I can keep at least one bred mare with a stallion 97% of the time.

Right now, I'm only standing one stallion and he's out in a small (2 acre) pasture alone for the time being. My first mare goes for a preg check tomorrow and if bred, she'll go right out with him. The 2nd mare will be bred in a few days and as soon as she's confirmed in foal, she'll go out with him. That way, he'll have company for the next year at least. I also have a very young colt that is out with him right now, the stallion doesn't mind him a bit because he's just a baby. The stallion is keeping the baby happy while he's weaned, baby is keeping stallion happy til there's a bred mare. This stallion is extremely gentle and plays with the babies, so I'm lucky there, not all stallions are this good natured.

Stallions are a PIA. They require a lot more security, really awesome ground manners and can't be allowed to get away with things that you'd let a gelding or mare get away with. That's the down side. The up side? They're fun to have around, have more fire than most geldings, are braver than most geldings when ridden and tend to like to show off more than most geldings. So, I'll qualify the PIA statement with, They're also worth it, if you have a nice one.

waresbear 05-02-2013 10:00 PM

I heard of stallions being turned out with geldings, but sorry, if it were me, I wouldn't risk it, chances are it wouldn't turn out nicely.

apachiedragon 05-02-2013 10:34 PM

My stallion has been going out with geldings all his life with no issues. His sire, who we got as an older stud and had for several years, was eventually able to go out with geldings as well, even though he had not had the opportunity earlier in life. It very much depends on the personality of the horse. It is always a risk, turning any horse out with another horse.

There are some farms that have separate turnouts for mares and geldings, and some have mixed herds. Some only do individual or pairs turnout. I even knew one place that turned out according to color. There is no proof that any of those arrangements worked any better than others, but it is what worked FOR THEM. I think that if you know the horses, take precautions, particularly while introducing them, and can lessen the risk as much as possible, that it comes down to a case by case situation.

dbarabians 05-02-2013 11:20 PM

With the mares in close contact with Star he is much calmer.
I would put him out with a bred mare or young colt but there are other horses nearby. He is quite protective of his harem.
I even know of one place that keeps the stallion with the mares in pastures surrounded by barbed wire.
If I ever enclose more than the 3 acres I have for Stars pen at the farm I might turn him out with a couple of mares.
Here at the place in collin county the pastures are fenced with barbed wire.
Something I might change while I am here. Shalom

TheLastUnicorn 05-06-2013 10:53 AM

We do it.

It works best with stallions raised "socially", and better still if there are no mares nearby to get them worked up (this is an issue more in the spring... In the winter we have had stallions with each other and geldings with the mares next door... But things get rough in that situation once the hormones start running)

The other big factor is space.... There MUST be enough space for the boys to give each other "respectable room" because if there isn't real fights can errupt, rather than just play. How much is "enough" can really depend on the horse... But the general rule of one acre per horse has been working for us.

Here are some pics of our guys...

Two stallions, these guys were good pals for many years... They sort of grew up together
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...4220394sm1.jpg

Stud colt on the right learning the ropes from my "calming" gelding
http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...PA207135sm.jpg

Same colt a couple years later with his bestest pal in the world, Pilgrim, a late gelded Shetland X pony
http://i1049.photobucket.com/albums/...o/beb436e8.jpg

I have others, but need to run for now...

BlueSpark 05-06-2013 11:25 AM

My BO has a lovely thoroughbred stallion. he is fine in with the mini donkey, young colts, geldings, bred mares. He is, however, in high demand for the next few months, and has several mares booked. To keep his energy up he is in a corral(large corral) that is completely separate from the other horses, with just a mini donkey for company. Other stallions may be different, but this guy will run, argue with the geldings over the fence and tease the mares until he's exhausted. Once things slow down(end of july/august) he will be back out with some bred mares again.