The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Trail Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/)
-   -   3 nights on the trail (http://www.horseforum.com/trail-riding/3-nights-trail-186610/)

cwsmith 05-02-2013 11:21 PM

3 nights on the trail

I am planning my first trail ride where I will actually be staying out on the trail. A pack horse is not an option for us at this time so I am needing to travel light. I am wondering how much and what kind of feed yall would suggest to pack in. I am currently looking at hydration hay from purina. What else should i take to supplement that?

Phly 05-02-2013 11:34 PM

Could you graze your horse will camping?
Posted via Mobile Device

cwsmith 05-02-2013 11:41 PM

I knew i left something out :lol: No grazing is not allowed :-(

Dustbunny 05-03-2013 12:05 AM

Three nights?
I can't imaging being out, not being able to graze and having to pack all your stuff, plus food, bedroll, etc as well as feed for the horse too, and not seriously overload the horse...unless you load the horse and you walk.
I have done it but for only one night and we had a high meadow to graze in.

tinyliny 05-03-2013 12:45 AM

I does seem challengeing to take all you need without a pack horse. Can it be done?

Phly 05-03-2013 12:58 AM

I looked at hydration hay (interweb search) and could see why you consider it. I personally had never heard of it before now. Seems you'd need at least a whole block, which from what I read weighs 25lbs. Sounds doable. But I'd think you'd need to get your horses on it way ahead to be sure how much they'll really need to eat, and get used to eating it. From what I read its finely chopped Timothy and alfalfa, I'd be concerned that one bale wouldn't be enough for three nights of good riding, so youd carry 2, and there'd be no long fiber. Just to me personally, I'm thinking it could cause some issues. Health wise. But maybe I'm wrong.

Maybe you could tell us a lil more about your trip so we could help more?
Posted via Mobile Device

TrailheadSupply 05-03-2013 12:14 PM

do worry about supplements your horse will do fine without them and it will save you weight and space. But I would start working the hydration hay into his diet a few days before you leave. are you cooking over a fire ? that would save space not bringing a stove

bbsmfg3 05-03-2013 12:24 PM

" What else should I take"

A couple spare horses to replace this one, when it colics and dies on you. 3 days without long fiber, is very, very dangerous.

cwsmith 05-03-2013 12:57 PM

The first night would probably be after a short 5 mile ride. The second and third nights would be after 20 or so miles. I was thinking that since the thrid night would be in the same place that my first night was that I could possibly stash the feed near that location that I will need for the third night to lighten my load some.
Posted via Mobile Device

cwsmith 05-03-2013 01:07 PM

Would the hydration hay not take care of my long fiber problem?
Posted via Mobile Device