The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trainers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trainers/)
-   -   Favorite Famous Trainer? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trainers/favorite-famous-trainer-186674/)

Tobysthebesthorseever 05-03-2013 08:51 AM

Favorite Famous Trainer?

I recently met Richard Shrake at an expo. I didn't realize he was "all that" until I saw some of his videos. I finally understand horse conformation!!! He was extremely friendly and kind. I only wish I'd paid more attention (I was reeeeally tired and hungry)

I also LOVE LOVE LOVE Monty Roberts. I think his methods are amazing, and I love watching him do what he does. Yes, I realize that people had been doing what Monty does for years, he was just the first one to name it.

And of course, my trainer and instructor, "DRRBP". She has great methods, is funny, and knows almost everything, if not everything, about dogs, horses, bunnies, and other animAls.

So lets hear your opinions on trainers and I'd love to hear about your personal horse trainer that you've worked with!!

Tracer 05-03-2013 10:02 AM

Buck Brannaman, hands down. Never met him, probably never will, but I absolutely adore everything I have seen him do.

As for personal experiences, I did a course a couple years ago and really admired the techniques of the man, lets call him G, that taught horse handling. He was an older man, and expected his horses to respect him the same way he respected them. He use a mixture of methods, some similar to Parelli, some reminiscent of the 'old' ways. The best part was, he never told us what was the right way or the wrong way. He encouraged us to use our own experiences and to take on board bits and pieces from everywhere. He never really told us what to do - he gave us advice and suggestions, and he showed us different methods with the same horse so that we could differentiate between with methods made a horse behave better or worse. It was absolutely incredible, and I learned so much in just 6 months of his lessons.

Tobysthebesthorseever 05-03-2013 10:34 AM

That sounds really cool!!!!

Dustbunny 05-03-2013 11:25 AM

I have gleaned information from a number of trainers but I favor those more on the humble side.

Nokotaheaven 05-03-2013 11:37 PM

I like a couple, none above the rest though. Ones like Buck Brannaman, John Lyons, and Pat

Palomine 05-04-2013 05:25 PM

Tom Bass. R.P. Glenn.

Horse racer 05-11-2013 01:30 AM

I'm with ya Tobysthebesthorseever I really like Monty Roberts too!

Tobysthebesthorseever 05-11-2013 10:47 AM

Yeah! He's just so amazing!!!! I've read all his books (I think) and I've watched videos. When I get my degree in buisness (in a looking time from now, I'm only eighth grade) I want to do an internship with him if I can.

Tobysthebesthorseever 05-11-2013 10:48 AM

*loooong time. Stupid autocorrect ;)

Horse racer 05-11-2013 10:29 PM

Ummm...sorry, I have to take that back my brain misstated Monty Roberts with Mark Rashid, I really like him. Monty Roberts is....different, I'm not a big fan of him. Some of his stuff is good but most I really don't buy into. I feel like he is too much of buddy or friend to his horse instead of the leader.