The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   Parelli Levels question (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/parelli-levels-question-186738/)

horselessmom 05-03-2013 11:48 AM

Parelli Levels question

Let's say you pass you Level 1 with one horse, and then have to switch to another horse. Do you have to officially pass Level 1 again, or you can achieve the level with your new horse, move onto Level 2, and then audition for level 2?

Thanks!

Saddlebag 05-03-2013 04:53 PM

I hope I'm right on this. I believe you are the one being tested and the horse is just the tool. My friend's horse went lame after level 2 and she's done level 3 with the replacement.

Fargosgirl 05-03-2013 06:03 PM

I passed L1 many years ago with my pony Indi, since then I have retired him and gone on to audition and pass level 2 and part of level 3 with Fargo.

horselessmom 05-03-2013 10:59 PM

Thank you, both. :D

amberly 05-11-2013 11:25 AM

The Parelli is to help both you and the horse get "trained." So to me, -unless the horse has already had some experience with it or happens to know it very well - then I would redo number one with my horse.

Northern 06-27-2013 04:12 PM

If the horse went lame due to bad handling, that"s not Level 1 as I see it. I did hear a rumor that Pat said that your initial Levels horse is your sacrifice horse, but whether he said it or not, it's a wrong-headed concept, in my book. NO horse should be handled to the point where he ends up with physical (or emotional) damage, right from the start.

OP's question: You pass Level 1 on the horse which you trained Level 1; you've got your certificate. You get a new horse, you must train it Level 1, since it doesn't know Level 1, which is the prerequisite for going on to Level 2. THEN, you train it Level 2 & get your L2 certificate.

Horse-logical is the only fair way for the horse.

farmpony84 06-27-2013 04:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Northern (Post 2910442)
If the horse went lame due to bad handling, that"s not Level 1 as I see it. I did hear a rumor that Pat said that your initial Levels horse is your sacrifice horse, but whether he said it or not, it's a wrong-headed concept, in my book. NO horse should be handled to the point where he ends up with physical (or emotional) damage, right from the start.

OP's question: You pass Level 1 on the horse which you trained Level 1; you've got your certificate. You get a new horse, you must train it Level 1, since it doesn't know Level 1, which is the prerequisite for going on to Level 2. THEN, you train it Level 2 & get your L2 certificate.

Horse-logical is the only fair way for the horse.

Why do you think a horse went lame from bad handling?

Saddlebag 06-27-2013 06:04 PM

Parelli is about teaching the student how to teach the horse. A real test to prove what you've learned is to move onto the next level with a different horse. This is a greater challenge to the handler.

tinyliny 06-27-2013 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saddlebag (Post 2420522)
I hope I'm right on this. I believe you are the one being tested and the horse is just the tool. My friend's horse went lame after level 2 and she's done level 3 with the replacement.

there is nothing here that indicates that the going lame had anything to do with his Parelli handling. it could be due to anything.