The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Trailers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/)
-   -   Appropriate height/width of trailer? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-trailers/appropriate-height-width-trailer-186802/)

JustDressageIt 05-03-2013 01:28 PM

Appropriate height/width of trailer?

I'm looking at buying my very first trailer - which is terribly exciting and nerve-wracking. My gelding is fairly big and my budget is fairly small, which means I'm running into problems!
Ronan is 16.3 3/4 (ha! Yes, literally a quarter inch shy if a solid 17hh) and built fairly substantially. He wears a 80-82" blanket, so is long-ish.
What size of trailer is appropriate for a horse his size? I'm very interested in a 2 horse slant bumper pull with the following dimensions:
6'10" tall. 6'2" wide. Long wall 10'10". Short wall 6'
Thoughts?
I believe that 7' is ideal for his height, but is 6'10" really that big of a difference?
The trailer is far enough away that I can't take it to try Ronan in it, unfortunately, but I've fallen in love already.
Posted via Mobile Device

Joe4d 05-03-2013 02:10 PM

trailer seems kinda small, not just the height but the width, seems my sundowner was 6'9" wide inside.

JustDressageIt 05-03-2013 04:23 PM

Thanks, joe. It looks to be in great condition and it has everything I want, but I'm terrified that Ro won't fit.
Posted via Mobile Device

AlexS 05-03-2013 04:24 PM

I just went through this as I was looking at a trailer that was smaller, it turned out not to have a title so I didn't buy.
But I was told, that the rule of thumb is usually 18 inches from the wither height for head space.

Sherian 05-03-2013 06:21 PM

I put a 16.2hh horse on my 7' trailer and his ears touched the ceiling, luckily he was a sensible sort and the trip was all of 10 min. For essentially 17hh I would want 7'6" so he has room to raise and lower his head to balance. Also check the width of the individual stalls, alot of small slants have stalls that are too narrow for big horses and they get brusied hips.

waresbear 05-03-2013 06:41 PM

My trailer is 7 ft tall, 6 1/2 wide, it's a 3 horse slant. Not sure of the depth, however, every trailer I looked at (all brand new, wasn't buying used this time), the 2 horse slants didn't seem roomy enough in the first stall, back one seemed fine. So I bought the 3 horse, took out the first divider, plenty enough room. I could have purchased the "Warmblood" version of my trailer, it was 7 1/2' tall, but stalls didn't look any bigger to me.

NorthernMama 05-03-2013 10:32 PM

I'm replying here so hopefully I will remember to go out and measure my trailer tomorrow. I bought it because my horse was 17.1h I think (or 17.3? I can't remember now) and she fit nicely into it. So my measurement might give you a guideline. If I could I'd load my 15.2 girl in there and take a pic, but the trailer is currently in a wet spot and I'm not ready to try to pull it out of there just yet.

Left Hand Percherons 05-04-2013 10:23 PM

I'd keep looking. The height is fine. I hauled my 16.2 full draft mare in a 6'6" trailer and I haul my 17.3 drafts in a 7'3" trailer. The problem is the width. At 6'2", the stalls are not going to be long enough without removing the partition and essentially ending up with a large one horse trailer. Ask for a measurement of the stall length (it will probably be less than 85") and width along the outer wall (probably 36" max as the short wall is 6'). That will actually only give him about 31". You can see how a horse that needs an 80" blanket couldn't stuff itself into that size stall. He doesn't have any room for his head and neck. As a comparison the width of my trailer is 7'6". Stall width is 45" and length is 100". I can put a 17H full draft in one stall.

NorthernMama 05-05-2013 06:31 PM

So, I measured mine that I hauled my 17.1 (17.3?) girl and my 15.3 together in without having to "stuff" them in there :) It's 68 1/2 wide and 85 long; 79" to from chest wall to butt bar. And 79" tall. These are actual interior dimensions.

JustDressageIt 05-05-2013 08:11 PM

Thanks guys!!
Posted via Mobile Device