The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Aussie Saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/aussie-saddle-18691/)

rosie9r 12-02-2008 12:54 PM

Aussie Saddle

Does anyone use an Aussie saddle? What kind of saddle pad do you use?:?:

CallieMae 12-02-2008 01:52 PM

I think you can buy saddle pads made specifically to fit the shape of an aussie saddle. I don't personally own one, but I've ridden in them before (so comfy!) because a friend of mine uses 'em. You should be able to go online and look for 'aussie saddle pads' and something should come up....

If you go to www.outbacksaddles.com you might be able to find some pads. They're kinda pricey on this site though...

NorthernMama 12-02-2008 02:18 PM

My aussie saddle has mega padding for the full length -- I just use a western blanket for it. None of my horses have complained about it.

Curly_Horse_CMT 12-02-2008 02:42 PM

Aussie saddle pads

I use a specific made wool pad that was ordered with my Aussie saddle. I didnt purchase it (I got the saddle along with the pad and all the fittings for a headstall lol) You can find them on the internet, and somec catolouges carry them too. They arent too expensive, depends on what brand you get and what cut. The ones with the saddle bags attatched are more, around fifty dollars but they are well made.

rosie9r 12-02-2008 03:00 PM

I like the ones with the built in pockets :o). I just got an aussie saddle as a gift, it has thick padding though so I figured I wouldn't need a super thick pad. I was hoping to just use my western pad. Thanks for the advice!

MissB 12-02-2008 04:35 PM

I used to use a pad made for my Aussie until I met a guy at an Expo in Ocala Fl. who builds Aussie saddles. (I love the way Aussie's talk), it was interesting listening to him. He said the leather flaps are designed to have contact with the horse and to use a regular barrel or western round skirt pad with one.

I was disappointed since I'd spent $60.00 on that Aussie pad and now he says it's not the right pad to use! So, I'm using a Skito pad that's made for a round skirt saddle. Still have the Aussie pad though.

hrsjmpr32 12-02-2008 04:50 PM

look on www.horse.com they sell aussie stuff in there and they are really cheap. they have four different types of pads, two of which have the pocketsthe most expensive one is59.99 aand the cheapest one is34.99, they also sell the bridles and girths as well

CrazyChester 12-03-2008 12:17 AM

I use a english pad or a western one.

rosie9r 12-03-2008 12:47 PM

awesome advice guys, thanks! I am definatly going to check out horse.com

MrsB 12-05-2008 12:09 AM

This might sound like a really stupid question (seeing as I'm from Aus) but, whats an Aussie saddle? Is it just a stock saddle?