The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Anyone feed Purina Strategy Healthy Edge? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/anyone-feed-purina-strategy-healthy-edge-187034/)

michigancowgirl 05-03-2013 10:32 PM

Anyone feed Purina Strategy Healthy Edge?

Anyone feed this? Pros? Cons? It looks like it is a pretty complete feed and I am thinking of using it on my horses.......

BaileyJo 05-03-2013 10:43 PM

Yes, love it. Helped put some good weight on my mare and did not make her hot. Such a pretty color too but that's just me! Her coat became very soft and brought out her dappling too. Would use forever if I needed it.

WildAcreFarms 05-06-2013 08:59 PM

I feed it and love it

michigancowgirl 05-06-2013 09:05 PM

I decided to go with ADM Alliance Nutrition Ultra Fiber per my vets recommendation, Apparently Strategy has a very high Carb content and cardboard has been found as a byproduct in the feed! Eeeek!

deserthorsewoman 05-06-2013 09:26 PM

Strategy Healthy Edge has 17% NSC....definitely one of the lower one's.
As comparison, oats has 50%, corn 73%
Cardboard? I highly doubt that.....

Delfina 05-06-2013 10:21 PM

My horse does very well on it. Several Vets recommended it to me.

WildAcreFarms 05-06-2013 10:22 PM

LOL I GUESS MY GUYS LOVE the cardboard :) he he he

trailhorserider 05-06-2013 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman (Post 2445314)
Strategy Healthy Edge has 17% NSC....definitely one of the lower one's.

Does anyone know how this compares to Nutrena Safechoice Original and Safechoice Perform?

On the pamphlet I have from Nutrena, it says, for example, dietary starch on the Safechoice Original is 17%, but it also says sugar is 5%. So do you combine those to get NSC or do I just go by the dietary starch? Or does anybody know what NCS is for Safechoice Original and Safechoice Perform?

I have fed all 3 at various times and the horses love them all and seem to do well on them all. So I find it a bit hard to compare. I know a Nutrena rep. once told me that there is just a little more starch in the Perform and also more fat. So I like the fact it is high fat but I don't know just how bad it is as far as NCS goes?

On the Safechoice Perform, it says dietary starch is 20% and sugar is 8% max.

Choices, choices!

I think one of my horses prefers the taste of Healthy Edge, but she likes all of them. :lol:

deserthorsewoman 05-06-2013 11:30 PM

NSC is starch + sugar. So Perform 28%, Original 22%, Special Care 15%
My horses told me they prefer the Healthy Edge over all Safe Choices, but would agree with the Nutrena Life Design line;-)

trailhorserider 05-06-2013 11:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by deserthorsewoman (Post 2446674)
NSC is starch + sugar. So Perform 28%, Original 22%, Special Care 15%
My horses told me they prefer the Healthy Edge over all Safe Choices, but would agree with the Nutrena Life Design line;-)

Very interesting!

Not knowing anything about the feeds, I would have guess that Healthy Edge is the highest in NSC just because it has that slightly sticky, molassas-y feel to it. (And the horses seem to especially relish it). But it's actually the lowest in NSC of the 3 I've tried (I haven't used Special Care).

So hmmm. Maybe I will eventually go back to Healthy Edge. Right now I have quite a few bags of Perform to feed.

Another reason I switched from Healthy Edge is I have a feeling it has quite a lot of alfalfa in it. Which is great if it does, because I think alfalfa is a great hay. But it almost seems redundant because I am feeding a mostly alfalfa diet.

Do you know if Healthy Edge is largely alfalfa?