The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Colors and Genetics (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/)
-   -   Remember the color conundrum foal? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-colors-genetics/remember-color-conundrum-foal-187074/)

EmsTNWalkers 05-03-2013 11:48 PM

Remember the color conundrum foal?

2 Attachment(s)
The filly that also has the same sire as my colt. (My mare was still in foal when I posted the thread "Any ideas on possible foal color?) Here are some updated pics of her. Still thinking smoky cream?

Attachment 176970

Attachment 176978

Chiilaa 05-04-2013 12:03 AM

Yup, I still do think she is smoky cream. She has that very mushroomy tone to her coat still.

Peppy Barrel Racing 05-04-2013 12:46 AM

Agreed^^^
Posted via Mobile Device

EmsTNWalkers 05-05-2013 11:05 PM

Ok, thanks! The BO keeps calling her a "carmello" *__*

DraftyAiresMum 05-05-2013 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmsTNWalkers (Post 2436946)
Ok, thanks! The BO keeps calling her a "carmello" *__*

Funny, she doesn't look like a candy bar to me. ;-)
Posted via Mobile Device

Samhwain 05-06-2013 08:16 AM

if both parents are cream carriers and carry the recessive chestnut gene she could very easily be cremello instead of smokey cream - between cremello, perlino and smokey cream the only true definite way to tell is genetic testing or ( if you'd rather be surprised ) putting them to a chestnut in the future and see what the resulting foal is. If the foal turns up black based ( smokey black or buckskin ) then you have a smokey cream ( as long as the chestnut is tested to be strictly chestnut with no other modifiers )

EmsTNWalkers 05-06-2013 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DraftyAiresMum (Post 2436986)
Funny, she doesn't look like a candy bar to me. ;-)
Posted via Mobile Device

Lol it makes me so annoyed he calls it that and not even the correct word!
Posted via Mobile Device

Peppy Barrel Racing 05-06-2013 08:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samhwain (Post 2439010)
if both parents are cream carriers and carry the recessive chestnut gene she could very easily be cremello instead of smokey cream - between cremello, perlino and smokey cream the only true definite way to tell is genetic testing or ( if you'd rather be surprised ) putting them to a chestnut in the future and see what the resulting foal is. If the foal turns up black based ( smokey black or buckskin ) then you have a smokey cream ( as long as the chestnut is tested to be strictly chestnut with no other modifiers )

Breeding that horse to a chestnut would NOT tell you if it was smokey cream or not necessarily. If that colt is Ee and bred to and chestnut ee you could still get a red based foal. She will be able to tell for sure if its cremello or smokey cream as it ages there is a noticeable color difference coat wise between the two.
Posted via Mobile Device