The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Horsey PMS? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/horsey-pms-18714/)

Hoofprints in the Sand 12-02-2008 10:05 PM

Horsey PMS?

Ok, so I was told to "watch out" when I got my mare, because mares get into moods when they're in heat, similar to PMS in women around "that time of the month"...has anyone else noticed this with their mares? Sandie's in heat now, and last night when I was riding her, it seemed like ALL of our progress went out the door! She was being so BAD! I chalked it up to Horsey PMS :lol: But am I just thinking that because of what others have said, or is there some truth to it after all?

PaintHorseMares 12-02-2008 11:25 PM

Some mares to get that way when they are in season, but you probably want to see if it happens consistently or not...she may just have had a bad day. I haven't noticed any real difference when riding our mares, but they do seem to fuss with each other more in the herd at that time.

Reese2007 12-02-2008 11:49 PM

My mare Cameo is TERRIBLE when she's in season...Riding and out to pasture. Chika is mean in the pasture...she is all the time...but more so when she's in season, but you cant tell a difference when riding her. They're all different.

Misty'sGirl 12-03-2008 12:17 AM

Oh, yes... my mare is so awful when she's in season. Mum says we're both the same with PMS: apparently we are both nasty and moody, lol. But seriously, Misty will bite and kick when she's in season, and she'll put her ears flat back if you go anywhere near her, especially if you try to touch her. Its a pain!

appylover31803 12-03-2008 12:41 AM

Vega is the worst during the summer months. She'll refuse to move undersaddle, no matter what you do, She'll kick out at you, try and bite you, is a witch to every horse around, though she'll try and kick/bite a horse one minute and then go over a flirt with it (only if it's a gelding)
Any other time she's ok. She'll still get moody and be unwilling to want to move undersaddle, or move in general, but it seems to be getting better with age (she's currently 5)

There are supplements out there you can give a mare to calm her down. I tried Mare Magic with Vega and I didn't really see a difference.

luvs2ride1979 12-03-2008 12:49 AM

Oh yeah, big time truth, lol. My mare got better as she got older, and improved a TON once I changed her diet. I took her off all feed products (sweet feed, feed pellets, etc) and put her on a forage based diet. She got all the quality grass hay she needed, a small scoop of chopped pre-bloom alfalfa hay, and half a small scoop of oats, along with a vitamin supplement designed for horses not getting any fortified grain. It's high in magnesium, which seems to help some mares as well.

Her attitude is 110% better! She still comes in season, but we can work through her moodiness with only a little extra effort. She's not as spooky as she used to be when in heat and in new areas. Her overall work ethic also improved. I HIGHLY recommend going to a more natural diet.

luvs2ride1979 12-03-2008 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by appylover31803 (Post 203353)
Vega is the worst during the summer months. She'll refuse to move undersaddle, no matter what you do, She'll kick out at you, try and bite you, is a witch to every horse around, though she'll try and kick/bite a horse one minute and then go over a flirt with it (only if it's a gelding)
Any other time she's ok. She'll still get moody and be unwilling to want to move undersaddle, or move in general, but it seems to be getting better with age (she's currently 5)

There are supplements out there you can give a mare to calm her down. I tried Mare Magic with Vega and I didn't really see a difference.

It sounds like Vega might have a physical problem, like Ovarian cysts or something similar. Physical pain should NOT be that big of an issue with horses. I would have her looked at by a vet who specializes in reproductive health.

newhorsemom 12-03-2008 02:06 AM

My mare is also moody when she is in season (but sweet as can be otherwise). She gets nippy with the other horses, she can be unreasonably jumpy/edgy, uncooperative, has tons of spunk, and has a very difficult time focusing. She also gets really loud! She neighs at the top of her lungs at everybody, horses and people alike! She has one or two days where it's really bad and then a few days of not-so-bad but still not her normal self.

When she gets like that all I can say is it's a good thing she's cute...

appylover31803 12-03-2008 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luvs2ride1979 (Post 203364)
It sounds like Vega might have a physical problem, like Ovarian cysts or something similar. Physical pain should NOT be that big of an issue with horses. I would have her looked at by a vet who specializes in reproductive health.

You really think it could be something that serious? even if she doesn't show it besides the summer?

Undersaddle, she'll move but it's very slow and only where and when she wants.

I'll call up my vet and see if he does reproductive health. I believe he does, but I want to be certain.

What's the treatment for something like that?

BarneyBabby 12-03-2008 08:20 AM

I have seen mares do it before. Oh gosh, when my old mare was in season she wasnt out of control, you just could piss her of easy.