The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   How to hurry up the shedding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/how-hurry-up-shedding-187154/)

BadWolf 05-04-2013 04:52 AM

How to hurry up the shedding

Our boys look like a scraggly pack of dogs, half shed out and half still shaggy.
Any tips on how to hurry up the shedding process?
Or do I need to embrace the curry comb and just get after it?
I'd clip them, but I don't have clippers or experience using them if I had.

Saddlebag 05-04-2013 08:09 AM

The way the horses are shedding is natural to them, based on daylight hours. The weather is usually coldest about two hours before sunrise so maybe they need that extra protection.

Iseul 05-04-2013 08:26 AM

Take the curry to 'em. Clipping won't do anything but take away their summer coat that is growing in as well. Mine has been shedding for the past month with huge piles of hair coming out and still coming out while we ride (horrible when a clump blows up to my face D: ).
Posted via Mobile Device

aforred 05-04-2013 01:08 PM

I've found using the curry after exercise really helps.

waresbear 05-04-2013 01:25 PM

Hours of elbow grease and an arsenal of shedding brushes has resulted to shiny, sleek results for me! First show is next week and my horse is gleaming. At the first sign of shedding, about two months ago, I was brushing my arms off, the hard work has always paid off! My two favorite items are the Sleekez and a griddle block, in the past it was a shedding blade and a rubber curry, more work however.
Posted via Mobile Device

flytobecat 05-04-2013 01:41 PM

If it's warm enough after exercising wash him, and use a rubber curry comb to brush him down while he's wet.
I always pull tons of hair out that way and the horses love it. They just stand there with their head all low and lip pushed out

michigancowgirl 05-11-2013 06:37 PM

I started brushing my gelding every day and feeding a new complete feed and he is shedded out super nice and shiny!:)

VelvetsAB 05-11-2013 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aforred (Post 2426370)
I've found using the curry after exercise really helps.

Agree!

I take a shedding blade after riding. The hair seems to come out a lot easier, even if I do the same thing before riding.

huntergirl84 05-13-2013 12:25 PM

One of our guys grows the most insane winter coat and I swear by the shedding blade to get it out. For best results, I curry him, then use the shedding blade---keep running it over him until you don't pull anymore hair out...or it is at least significantly reduce, then I run the curry over him again and brush after that. If you do that routine 2 or 3 times a week in addition to regular groomings, it'll be shed out in no time. If it is warm enough, you might also consider giving him a single bath (being sure to use a curry come to work that shampoo in).

amberly 05-13-2013 12:59 PM

The way I get rid of their shedding is by using many different combs. LOL. but it does work.

I might use the rubber curry first
then I will use the shedding blade
then the metal curry
Then the hard dandy brush - I forget the name
and finally I use the soft brush.

I usually use the rubber curry and shedding blade twice.
I hope this helps!