The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Grooming (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/)
-   -   Foal isn't shedding? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-grooming/foal-isnt-shedding-187202/)

MeganJoey57 05-04-2013 11:01 AM

Foal isn't shedding?

My little Shetland colt just passed up his 3 month birthday. I'm worried how he isn't shedding out. As here in the South, it's starting to get into the 90s already! The other horses already have their slick summer coat but poor Dewey's coat is long and thick. I've been brushing him but nothing comes out. He's always in the shade and on hot days he sweats. Should I wait and see or go ahead and clip him?
Posted via Mobile Device

horsecrazygirl 05-05-2013 03:57 PM

I think you should consider clipping. It doesn't sound like he is shedding and if its already getting hot, I would clip.

BoldComic 05-05-2013 04:08 PM

Shetlands and other pony breeds don't seem to shed out like the big guys. Take my minis for instance, I have to shave them down every spring. Also, young horses hold onto their fluffy coats for longer than adult horses. Just be sure it's staying in the 40s at night before you clip.

Casey02 05-05-2013 04:09 PM

He doesn't have worms does he?

MeganJoey57 05-05-2013 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Casey02 (Post 2433506)
He doesn't have worms does he?

No he's been wormed so I don't think that's the case.. We just have him a simple trace clip until it gets super hot!
Posted via Mobile Device

BoldComic 05-05-2013 10:42 PM

I'm going to be clipping my minis down before the end of the month for sure. If not this week then probably next. They are starting to rub their hair off on their chests anyway because of the summer itchies. Time for a clip and a good bath. Good luck with your shetland baby. You should post a pic. We're suckers for pics.