The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   My horse has missing incisors (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/my-horse-has-missing-incisors-18734/)

acey 12-03-2008 02:43 PM

My horse has missing incisors

hey all im new here so hope im in the right place!!

I have a 4 year old pinto warmblood on loan, and i am thinking of buying him in the new year. i just discovered however that he has a missing front top incisor, and one of the bottom side ones is broken in half. after thinking it was my fault for an hour i called his owner and apparently he got kicked in the face as an 8 month old and they fell out. he got examined by a vet and apparently the totally broken one will never grow as an adult tooth as it was damaged too far up.

anyway i have not had his ppe done yet as im waiting until the week before hes schedualed to move home as i need a cert to transport him on the ferry. what are peoples opinions slash advice? is this something to be concerned about in the long term? any idea how much dentistry hed need yearly? do you think hed need special treatment bit wise? hes on a snaffle now with side bars so its gentle but he pulls occasionally. i wonder if this would be related???

sorry for ranting on and thanks for your help!! :) xx

MrsB 12-03-2008 07:07 PM

One of my horses is missing a bottom incisor which happened before I got him.

The only thing Is that the top incisor now has nothing keeping it from growing (usually the top and bottom teeth grind each other down to a certain extent).

I get my dentist out usually every 6 months just to keep an eye on it, but eventually it will need to be removed as it is continuing to grow.

You might find that your dentist will also reccomend this in the future, including the removal of the broken tooth, which I would definitely have done in case it cracks as this can cause really nasty infections, particularily in the blood.

Usually the teeth can just be removed in a stable, but that depends on your vet/dentist and what they would prefer.

Bit wise, it shouldnt bother him. The bit usually only interferes with molars that arent regularily checked and floated and wolf teeth, if they havnt been removed.

I hope that helps :-)

acey 12-04-2008 12:46 PM

oh awesome thanks for your thoughts...i just dont know many people who have had this problem haha!!! :)

G and K's Mom 12-04-2008 01:07 PM

I would think with regular detal care he should be fine.