The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack Reviews (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/)
-   -   saddle fit? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-reviews/saddle-fit-187346/)

horsecrazygirl13 05-04-2013 05:33 PM

saddle fit?

Hi I just got my big horn saddle a few days ago(bought it off ebay). I put it on my horse. Does it fit like it should? I know it looks a little big but I expect him to fill out and get a little bigger as he is only two years old. Thanks in advance.
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/...ps278a9c50.jpg
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/...psacd8fd29.jpg
http://i1150.photobucket.com/albums/...pse2e3ba95.jpg

horsecrazygirl13 05-05-2013 02:15 PM

bump? saddle experts?

waresbear 05-08-2013 07:13 PM

The saddle is way too long for him, the tree is sitting on his shoulders and the back is digging into his hip. The only reason the gullet is not resting on his withers is because it is resting on his shoulder blades. Good way to sore a horse.

Northernstar 05-08-2013 07:16 PM

It's a very nice saddle, and very smart of you to post some photos for opinions! Definately too big, and will cause pain. I would put it aside and look for another to ride in until the fit is right. Good luck! :)

horsecrazygirl13 05-08-2013 10:41 PM

Thanks I thought something was funky. When do you think he'll be big enough for it(just an estimate)? how much bigger do you think he will get? He's an APHA gelding. Is it too wide or what exactly is wrong? is it too narrow?

Yeah and I really like this saddle. I'll def hang on to it. Maybe I should buy a treeless saddle or bareback saddlepad and ride him in it while he gets bigger?

Sharpie 05-08-2013 10:52 PM

Most horses are more or less full size and developed at four or five. I would guess that you're looking at more than a year before it would be worth trying the saddle on him again to see if it might be a fit. And even then, it will depend on the build of the horse (shoulder angle, back length) and the build of the saddle (gullet, bar angle, etc). That saddle would probably never fit my QH, since he's got a short back, but would look gorgeous and likely fit two paints I know pretty well.

Have patience. A two year old is pretty young to be doing any serious carrying of weight anyway, so if you're just looking for him to carry an empty saddle around as part of training, fit is less important. If you're starting to back him though, you'll need to try several saddles to see what fits, and be ready to have to change out or switch saddles every few weeks since he's still changing and growing so much. Just be careful with your youngster. (And your new saddle... I love the tooling!)

horsecrazygirl13 05-08-2013 11:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpie (Post 2465441)
Most horses are more or less full size and developed at four or five. I would guess that you're looking at more than a year before it would be worth trying the saddle on him again to see if it might be a fit. And even then, it will depend on the build of the horse (shoulder angle, back length) and the build of the saddle (gullet, bar angle, etc). That saddle would probably never fit my QH, since he's got a short back, but would look gorgeous and likely fit two paints I know pretty well.

Have patience. A two year old is pretty young to be doing any serious carrying of weight anyway, so if you're just looking for him to carry an empty saddle around as part of training, fit is less important. If you're starting to back him though, you'll need to try several saddles to see what fits, and be ready to have to change out or switch saddles every few weeks since he's still changing and growing so much. Just be careful with your youngster. (And your new saddle... I love the tooling!)

I cant really afford to get that many saddles so couldnt I just ride him with a bareback pad while he grows into it? I'm not planning on riding him in that saddle anytime soon anyway. I just put it on to get him used to things on his back.

Sharpie 05-08-2013 11:21 PM

You'll be riding him in a bareback pad for quite a while if you choose to wait, and remember, there's no 100% guarantee that THAT saddle will ever fit THAT specific horse (though of course, we all hope it will). But no, there is no reason that you need to use a saddle if you don't have one that fits well. Bareback or a pad is certainly better for a horse than a poorly fitting saddle any day. Could be harder on the rider though, depending on the horse. ;)

Saddlebag 05-12-2013 08:24 AM

He has a little growing to do and he won't be completely filled out until 5. When you place the saddle on, rock it side to side and where it locks in that's where the front wants to sit. You need to make sure the back end of the bars do not go past his last true rib.

horsecrazygirl13 05-12-2013 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sharpie (Post 2465745)
You'll be riding him in a bareback pad for quite a while if you choose to wait, and remember, there's no 100% guarantee that THAT saddle will ever fit THAT specific horse (though of course, we all hope it will). But no, there is no reason that you need to use a saddle if you don't have one that fits well. Bareback or a pad is certainly better for a horse than a poorly fitting saddle any day. Could be harder on the rider though, depending on the horse. ;)

As long as it helps me get a better balance, I dont mind riding bare back. I wont be doing much more than walking anyway for now.:D