The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Breeding (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/)
-   -   Who's planning on a 2014 foal? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-breeding/whos-planning-2014-foal-187434/)

Britt 05-04-2013 08:26 PM

Who's planning on a 2014 foal?

Who here is planning on breeding (or has already bred) for a 2014 foal? What are you hoping to get, etc...?

Pictures are, of course, optional... and much enjoyed!

I'm planning on breeding my TWH mare Gypsie (unreg.) to my neighbor's TWH stallion Leroy (reg. TWHBEA) (my dream stallion) later this month or next for a 2014 foal. I'm already crossing my fingers and hoping that the resulting foal is a chestnut filly, as my only color options are chestnut, bay, or smoky black. I'm planning on turning the foal into one of my riding horses, a trail horse, and possibly do a little trail-class or obstacle-challenge shows later on.

She's been bred once before (several years ago) to a different TWH stallion (also owned by my neighbor). This will be the final time she's ever bred, as she's nineteen and has to take weight supplements in the winter and is permanently on a joint supplement.

Pictures will come in a little while.

Poseidon 05-04-2013 09:38 PM

How do you figure only chestnut, bay, and smoky black?

NdAppy 05-04-2013 09:41 PM

You do realize smokey black is a black with cream right? And that means if that is possible you have a lot more color possibilities than what you listed...

Can I ask why you are breeding her since you already know she has problems holding weight and has arthritis?

Britt 05-05-2013 07:38 AM

Well, maybe my terminology is wrong... :/

Um... by 'smoky black' I'm meaning a dull black, not a 'true' black... I get the terminology confused a lot, lol.

I figure those colors because the stud is a chestnut, out of two palomino parents, and my mare is bay, out of a chestnut sire and bay roan dam, and that's what I was given by the stallion owner as possible color possibilities, though he prolly meant a 'dull black' as well... fading black, I think is what I'm referring to. My main color possibilities are chestnut and bay, I'm pretty sure.

I also have a better chance of getting a filly, as this stud tends to throw 50/50 colts/fillies, whereas the last stud I bred her to tended to throw about 90/10 colts/fillies.

I've been wanting to rebreed her for several years now, and just kept putting it off a little longer, etc... She'll be permanently retired in a few years (she's already partially retired in winter). I think a lot of her weight issues was my feed I was feeding (I was feeding a very low-quality feed), she's on a complete feed now and I didn't have any issues with her weight this winter, like I've had the past several winters. I only had her on the weight supplement this winter as a precaution, I originally bought it for another horse, but after selling him, I had supplement left over and just decided to give it to her so as to not waste it or let it ruin.

I've spoken to a vet about breeding her with the joint supplement in her system, and he said it would be safe. My farrier thinks she doesn't have arthritis as badly as I think she does, though... but the joint supplement is staying to be on the safe side, as she's more comfy with it, I think (acts like a three year old, lol).

My main reason for breeding her is for another foal out of her to raise and train into a riding horse once she's too old and is retired to a pasture-puff. I already have Dakota, but he's such a handful on trails with groups, and no matter what I do, it just doesn't get any better (though he's excellent alone or riding on the flat by himself or with a horse he knows and actually likes)... I'm thinking about turning Dakota into a obstacle-challenge horse, for competitions, and using this up-and-coming foal as my main trail horse.

roanypony 05-05-2013 09:42 AM

3 Attachment(s)
I'm planning on a 2014 foal as long as everything operates according to plan. It's also the first foal I've ever bred for myself.

First pic is my mare, second pic is the stallion(he's 3), third pic is my mare's sire and the grandsire of the stallion. My mare's breeding is scheduled for this month.

Attachment 178098

Attachment 178106

Attachment 178114

Glynnis 05-05-2013 11:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
My mare was just recently covered last Monday and Wednesday, so I'm not yet sure if she's caught , but I'm hoping for a 2014 foal. Lilly will be 12 this year and is a maiden mare. She is registered Pinto. Her sire was a Paint and her dam was an Anglo-Arab. I have bred her back to a Paint. To say I am excited for this foal is an understatement!

I sent away for coat colour tests from UC Davis. Despite being half paint, Lilly tested N/N for tobiano, overo, splash and sabino. Colour is only secondary for me though, I really liked the stallion's disposition and he has done well in the show ring as a halter horse. I'm hoping for a painted foal, but will be just as happy if I get another solid one.

The first two pictures are of my mare Lilly in summer and winter. Last I posted a link to the stallion's web page as I do not have the owner's permission to post pictures of the stallion.

Attachment 178578

Attachment 178586

Painted Coos

FeatheredFeet 05-06-2013 09:31 AM

Glynnis, interested to know why you chose this stud. He appears sickle hocked to me.

No breedings for our family this year. This will be the 4th year we have not bred. Too many Gypsies and indeed almost all breeds, being produced in this difficult economy.

Lizzie

kassierae 05-06-2013 11:18 AM

He looks very sickle hocked. We have two planned for this year, a silver black varnish blanket appaloosa(HOF Roadster, son of Wittmaacks Mickey Mouse) will be bred to a silver black tobiano/splash mare for a driving prospect, and a smaller silver black mare for a smaller driving prospect. And before anyone says anything about minis being a dime a dozen, well in my area they are not. The minis around here are not of good quality(really crappy, actually), unless you really do some digging. The minis we have are very well bred and well conformed. They will stay with us for as long as possible, or they will go to trusted friends or other members of our local mini club.

I am holding off on breeding my mare, I want to show her and get her trained first. Our first show is May 19, fingers crossed we do well.

Glynnis 05-06-2013 12:20 PM

I noticed the same thing in the picture and so I actually took someone who has a more experienced eye for conformation than I do to meet him in person. Not sure if it is just the pictures or the angle or if he's standing funny because in person he is not sickle hocked.

NdAppy 05-06-2013 12:22 PM

Britt - a "true black" and "dull black/fading black" are genetically the same and there is no way to predict if a black is going to be a fading black or not.