The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Hastilow Custom Saddle (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/hastilow-custom-saddle-187482/)

bluecharm7 05-04-2013 10:32 PM

Hastilow Custom Saddle

Finally had the saddle fitter come. None of the saddles that she brought or that I have on trial really fit my horse. My only option is a custom saddle it seems. The Barnsby that I showed on here was a very close fit but I would need a riser pad in the front to prevent the saddle from moving on his withers.
I have two questions:
Has anyone heard anything about the Hastilow saddles?

Since its a full custom I get to choose the color of the leather and the type. They offer Grain leather or W/R 100 or Memel leather for the panels.
For the seat I can get Schrumpf Hide, Pig Hide or Calf Skin.

I do want the two toned look in my saddle, I really like that but I am not sure about the leather material its self. My current saddle is an old Crosby that is over 15 years old, that has printed full grain leather on the panels and pig hide on the flap and seat. This saddle has held up really well, and I am thinking I should go with this again but the saddle I rode in has the Memel and Schrumpf leather and it is very soft and comfy. Will these leather types hold up as well as my other saddle?

And if anyone can show pictures of their two-toned saddles if they have them that would be great.

Thanks

unclearthur 05-05-2013 05:17 AM

I've met Ian Hastilow.

He knows what he's talking about and makes great quality saddles. He won the SMS saddlemaking competition at the British Equestrian Trade Association (BETA) show on a couple of occasions and also lectures on saddle fitting.

You should have no qualms on the quality score, but a saddle's only as good as it's fitted :)