The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   How to use White Lightning (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/how-use-white-lightning-187570/)

kiwi79 05-05-2013 12:29 AM

How to use White Lightning

Hi
I have just brought some White Lightning gel to use for my horses thrush and WLD. I am a little unsure about the application and wondered if anyone else has used it and can help?
The directions say to apply a thin film 2-3 times per week which is fine and I am assuming you want the hoof to be as clean as possible and probably dry too.
But it also says 'product left in tip will turn yellow indicating the product is still active'. So is it fine to use whats in the tip next time as long as its still yellow or should you push the old stuff through and dispose of that?
Also I want to use it for thrush down the sides of the frog, I'm guessing its ok for the gel to make contact with the frog and can you use it on the frog when it gets that holey/scraggly appearance from thrush?
One last thing, when I googled how to use it one website said to leave it on for 35-40 minutes, does this mean you should keep them in off the paddock to give it time to work or can you turn them out straight after?
Thanks!

acorn 05-10-2013 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiwi79 (Post 2429666)
Hi
I have just brought some White Lightning gel to use for my horses thrush and WLD. I am a little unsure about the application and wondered if anyone else has used it and can help?
The directions say to apply a thin film 2-3 times per week which is fine and I am assuming you want the hoof to be as clean as possible and probably dry too.
But it also says 'product left in tip will turn yellow indicating the product is still active'. So is it fine to use whats in the tip next time as long as its still yellow or should you push the old stuff through and dispose of that?
Also I want to use it for thrush down the sides of the frog, I'm guessing its ok for the gel to make contact with the frog and can you use it on the frog when it gets that holey/scraggly appearance from thrush?
One last thing, when I googled how to use it one website said to leave it on for 35-40 minutes, does this mean you should keep them in off the paddock to give it time to work or can you turn them out straight after?
Thanks!

It is fine to use what is in the tip, it's perfectly good.
It certainly will not hurt to get it on the frog, it's even safe to get on your hands.

I used it for wld and what I did was apply it and then make a duct tape booty to keep the wl on for some hours so don't know when using it for thrush but seems to me the longer you can keep it on the better so, maybe, not turn out immediately?

Skyseternalangel 05-13-2013 10:31 PM

Be careful, that stuff was extremely potent last time I handled it in CO. I also had the liquid version which required to ferment inside a tube sock bag thing.... my horse has never bucked so much in his life to get them off.

I feel safer with thrush buster and/or Tomorrow dry-cow mastitis treatment from jeffers.