The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Nutrition (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/)
-   -   Has anyone used Sand Clear or psyllium? (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-nutrition/has-anyone-used-sand-clear-psyllium-187634/)

HorseCrazyTeen 05-05-2013 03:07 AM

Has anyone used Sand Clear or psyllium?

Has anyone here used Sand Clear/psyllium as a preventative or cure for sand colic? What are your thoughts on it?

My mom wants to know this, because we know our new Mustang was in a small dry lot before he was turned out in a big pasture of the previous owner's. We don't know if he has any sand in him or not, and maybe we could give Sand Clear to him just in case? Do you all think that it would be worth doing, even if he shows no symptoms of colic?

Endiku 05-05-2013 10:18 AM

Yes, I think it is a great idea. All of our minis that are on a dry lot are given Sand Clear or a knock off of it regularly, because we unfortunately had a VERY try year two years ago which caused a lot of dust in the hay and fed, and three of them died within two months of each other from sand impaction. We had to get an autopsy to find out what the cause was, but as soon a we found out we started the sand clear and haven't had a single sand colic case since.

HorseCrazyTeen 05-05-2013 10:25 PM

Thanks!

That's so sad! Losing three minis in only two months... :(

So it would probably be a good idea to give Sand Clear to the minis, too. They are out in a dry lot all of the time. There hasn't been any problems at all with any of the horses, but it would be a good idea as a preventative, it looks like!

Thanks again.

Freemare 05-05-2013 11:01 PM

Let me tell you. I have never found much of a difference in any of the psyllium products. Psyllium is psyllium. All of the psyllium products are made of one of thing, along with price. I was using people psyllium sometime ago when they had it in a large size. It worked great then the store got ride of it. Now I just by a off brand at the feed store.

COWCHICK77 05-05-2013 11:30 PM

One thing I learned on here at HF is using the Equate(Wal-Mart brand) Psyllium husk found in the pharmacy section. It is cheaper than using the Sand-Clear.