The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Hoof Care (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/)
-   -   Unbalanced due to uneven frogs (http://www.horseforum.com/hoof-care/unbalanced-due-uneven-frogs-187794/)

WyomingSissy 05-05-2013 02:59 PM

Unbalanced due to uneven frogs

So my mare was in the process of getting corrective trimming by our farrier to help get her frogs centered. But he had a heart attack and we had to use another farrier. I had to work when he came out so my sister was there, and she told me when she explained what our usual farrier was doing, the new farrier said he'd never heard of corrective trimming for that. But he trimmed her anyways. Now to look at her, her hooves look even, but if you pick them up you can see that her frogs are off to one side. Which is how she was getting trimmed before by the farriers before we found the one we like (heart attack), they had just been trimming her to "look good" not work good.

Now we find out that our gelding that he trimmed is now lame on all four feet due to being trimmed extremely short (ThePaintGirl is my sister). We have some padding on his feet for now. Our farrier is coming out tomorrow.

Anyways, my question is: does anyone have info on uneven frogs, as I've never encountered this before? And also, does anyone know about corrective shoeing? To help with her balance. I don't want to rush this, and I will give her lighter work or time off if that's what she needs. But I'm trying to learn all the options, as she is my competition horse.

Thank you!
Sissy

(I'll try to get pictures if you guys want them, I just don't have any right now)

PaintHorseMares 05-05-2013 03:20 PM

Uneven frogs (going off to the side) are caused by the hoof not being balanced, not the other way around. With a good trim, it will fix itself after awhile.
Posted via Mobile Device

WyomingSissy 05-05-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares (Post 2433058)
Uneven frogs (going off to the side) are caused by the hoof not being balanced, not the other way around. With a good trim, it will fix itself after awhile.
Posted via Mobile Device

Posted via Mobile Device

WyomingSissy 05-06-2013 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaintHorseMares (Post 2433058)
Posted via Mobile Device

Wow, sorry, I love my phone, right.

Anyways, will trimming, will the frog eventually stay centered? I assume it started with having unbalanced hooves, and just kept getting worse as she worse her feet.

Also, would this possibly be a cause of reluctance to take a specific lead (in this case, the right lead)?

Honeysuga 05-06-2013 01:32 AM

The frog works as a shock absorbing mechanism in the hoof. If it is shifted to the side, the structures of the hoof are not bearing weight correctly. If you have to keep using another farrier, try to schedule when you can be there. You may even ask your old farrier to call your new farrier to get everyone on the same level. Consistency is key when attempting to correct damage in hooves. Each setback means more time the hoof is going to grow and reconform. Good luck!

Kayella 05-06-2013 02:10 AM

Did she used to be shod? I had a farrier tell me that my old gelding's frogs were crooked because he had shoes that were left on too long.
Posted via Mobile Device

loosie 05-06-2013 05:25 AM

Hi, without pics can only speculate. frogs off to one side or 'off centre', as others have said, indicate imbalance. It may be due to uneven trimming or wear, may be due to a limb abnormality, may be due to flaring on one side or such. May or may not be 'correctable', depending on specifics. For eg if it was due to limb deformation, then you wouldn't want to try to 'correct' it - don't cut a straight foot onto a crooked limb.

WyomingSissy 05-06-2013 02:31 PM

She's never been shod before, it's always been barefoot. The farrier I used today works with my usual one, whenever I use him, the other is there and they split up the horses.
They put shoes on her front today, because she was trimmed short.
As far back as I can remember she has always started flare out as she grew. Which could be why her frogs are uneven. They tend to flare to the inside on both feet.
Her limbs are good, its not from deformation in her legs.
I will not be switching farriers anytime soon. The last guy we used in a pinch, and he butchered all their feet.
My usual farrier says he's good to go, after his heart attack. And should he not be able to see my horses, I will use the guy he always works with.

We're all doing good now that the horses were seen by a good farrier, and her feet are back on their way to getting better. I think the problem is that she flares.

Thank you all for the advice!
Sissy

poppy1356 05-06-2013 03:56 PM

Shoes on because trimmed short?? I do not understand? Why would she get shoes on if there's nothing to nail to? My farrier made sure I could tell if my mares feet were wearing too much in the spring before it was time for shoes because if she wears to far we can't put shoes on so then she would need to be booted.

WyomingSissy 05-06-2013 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poppy1356 (Post 2443154)
Shoes on because trimmed short?? I do not understand? Why would she get shoes on if there's nothing to nail to? My farrier made sure I could tell if my mares feet were wearing too much in the spring before it was time for shoes because if she wears to far we can't put shoes on so then she would need to be booted.

There is some to nail the shoes to, but the horses were trimmed so short that they were on their soles. I'm not exactly sure how to explain it, but they had their feet trimmed so short, almost as if they were going to be shod, but as a barefoot trim. They were all walking on the sensitive areas of their hooves, the hoof wall was trimmed past what it should have, putting their weight directly on the frogs. Plus the guy rasped way to much on the bottom of the hooves, exposing tender areas.

Does that make any sense? (I have problems finding the correct words for everyday things, I apologize)