The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   So excited! I 'got a horse' (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/so-excited-i-got-horse-187810/)

LouieThePalomino 05-05-2013 03:25 PM

So excited! I 'got a horse'

So today I went out to the ranch to help out and after we unsaddled and gave the horses special groceries the BO asked me if I was interested in having a 'project horse' and of course I said yes! The horse is named Copper and I will be able to retrain, ride and have my lessons on him! Im so happy. I will also get to ride him back up on the trail string so I dont have to switch horses all day. I also get my own saddle for him. On Tuesday im giving him a bath and I will take pictures! :)
Posted via Mobile Device

HighonEquine 05-05-2013 03:28 PM

Fun! :)

Is he "project horse" as in he has issues, and holes in training to be fixed? If so, do you know what specifically you are dealing with?

nvr2many 05-05-2013 03:31 PM

@ louie, Congrats! Tell us more!

@ High, Your black horse in your avatar reminds me of my mare. So beautiful!!! What breed?

LouieThePalomino 05-05-2013 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighonEquine (Post 2433106)
Fun! :)

Is he "project horse" as in he has issues, and holes in training to be fixed? If so, do you know what specifically you are dealing with?

He has really good training but was screwed up by people who let him get away with jigging and running off. I think the original kids who owned him always galloped him down the highway and messed him up. He also tries to pass the trail string. He just needs some time and love :)
Hes also parrot mouthed and he needs more weight and muscle, but hes getting hus teeth done soon
Posted via Mobile Device

LouieThePalomino 05-05-2013 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvr2many (Post 2433138)
@ louie, Congrats! Tell us more!

@ High, Your black horse in your avatar reminds me of my mare. So beautiful!!! What breed?

Ok, hes a gelding, and all chestnut (I think, im bad with colors) and has no white on him at all. He also has a unique looking face and hes parrot mouthed so hes pretty thin right now. He also has no forelock and a short and choppy mane and thin tail, but im planning on giving him a good bath and soaking it in mane n tail conditioner. I dont know how old he is though.

nvr2many 05-05-2013 04:05 PM

Hopefully the vet can give a good guess on age by the teeth when they are floated. Good luck and congrats!

LouieThePalomino 05-05-2013 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nvr2many (Post 2433450)
Hopefully the vet can give a good guess on age by the teeth when they are floated. Good luck and congrats!

Ill also try to get pics so I can do a before and after thing
Posted via Mobile Device

alexischristina 05-05-2013 05:56 PM

OP it sounds like you don't own this horse, you're just being given it to take care of and ride? Hopefully they're not sticking you with too many 'extra special' vet bills and groceries, along with the 'training' you get to do. Don't get me wrong, often times people will full lease by just paying for general care and upkeep, general vet etc. but are there a lot of extra expenses with this horse?

LouieThePalomino 05-05-2013 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alexischristina (Post 2434306)
OP it sounds like you don't own this horse, you're just being given it to take care of and ride? Hopefully they're not sticking you with too many 'extra special' vet bills and groceries, along with the 'training' you get to do. Don't get me wrong, often times people will full lease by just paying for general care and upkeep, general vet etc. but are there a lot of extra expenses with this horse?

no I dont own him but I will be the one to ride, groom, spend time with and train and I dont have to pay because I volunteer out there every Saturday and Sunday from 8 am- 5 pm and come for lessons on Tuesdays. She would tell ne if their were any bills/fees. And shes done this before with other people
Posted via Mobile Device

alexischristina 05-05-2013 06:21 PM

Alright, makes sense. The way you worded it just seemed like they were passing all the special groceries and vet work over to you. :wink: