The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   General Off Topic Discussion (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/)
-   -   Christmas gift ideas for the kiddos? (http://www.horseforum.com/general-off-topic-discussion/christmas-gift-ideas-kiddos-18785/)

upnover 12-04-2008 11:33 AM

Christmas gift ideas for the kiddos?

So every year I try to give a little something to all of my riding students and every year I end up baking them different kinds of horse decorated cookies. The kids love them, they're cute and inexpensive, but I'm thinking that I should see if anyone has any better ideas? I have around 30 students so I can't get too expensive. Most of them don't have their own horses and not all of them have a favorite school horse so I don't want to get anything too personalized with horse names. I've already taken care of my adults so this is for kids (almost all girls) from 7 y/o - 16. The majority being around 8-12. I'm fairly artsy but I don't want to like, hand make them all something complicated that will take weeks and weeks.

soooo any ideas?

3neighs 12-04-2008 12:19 PM

How about horsey stationary? If you're computer savvy, you could design it yourself and you'd only have to buy paper. I know in today's electronic world, not many kids still write letters, but my 10 year old daughter always enjoys having "special" paper.

3neighs 12-04-2008 12:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I had another idea. I work with polymer clay often and you could easily (and inexpensively) make necklaces. Find horse related molds (horseshoe, horse head, etc.) such as for candy making and push the clay into the molds, pop it out, make a hole in the top with a toothpick and bake it as instructed. It can be painted and sealed with gloss, then attach a cord or lace. OR, you could also use a stamp. Make a flattened shape out of the clay, stamp your image, make hole, bake and paint.

This is an example of the stamped technique. I didn't make it, my mom got it for me from Mexico, but it's easy to see it was handmade from clay.

Gingerrrrr 12-04-2008 12:48 PM

what about a horsey necklaces?

Cantering Horse Necklace - Horse.com

or ornaments.

Christmas Ornaments - Horse.com

Christmas Ornaments - Horse.com

upnover 12-05-2008 05:38 PM

Thanks for the ideas! I thought about a Christmas ornament as well but even if I found some for $5, when you multiply that times 30 kids, it ends up being a little pricey!

The stationary and necklace/clay ideas are pretty cool. I don't get to kick into my artistic side too often. I'll look into that!

Any other ideas?

Small_Town_Girl 12-05-2008 05:56 PM

One free riding lesson? Idk...:?