The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Gaited Horses (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/)
-   -   Gaited horsemanship clinic (http://www.horseforum.com/gaited-horses/gaited-horsemanship-clinic-187962/)

churumbeque 05-05-2013 07:12 PM

Gaited horsemanship clinic

This is the 2nd year I have hosted and attended a Larry Whitesell clinic. If anyone has the opportunity it should be a must have for riders. If you can't afford to ride in one I would audit and get the very reasonable priced videos. Your horse will thank you

Saddlebag 05-05-2013 09:36 PM

I'd love to be able to just get there but soooo far.

churumbeque 05-05-2013 10:00 PM

They have clinics in several parts of the country.
Posted via Mobile Device

SlideStop 05-05-2013 11:04 PM

Where do they have them?
Posted via Mobile Device

Pattilou 05-05-2013 11:08 PM

Went to Larry's clinic last year in AZ , was really good and hope to get back for another one .

Patti

churumbeque 05-06-2013 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SlideStop (Post 2437410)
Where do they have them?
Posted via Mobile Device

His schedule is posted on his website
Posted via Mobile Device

Jolly Badger 05-09-2013 03:10 PM

There is one tomorrow in Port Clinton, OH. . .I won't be able to make it, but am curious about him after seeing some interviews with him recently.

I like the fact that he doesn't emphasize gait as much as foundation stuff. I always kind of felt that way. . .that no matter what a horse is intended for, it needs a good foundation before moving on.

However, a lot of people I've found myself surrounded by. . .especially in the gaited community. . .focus so much on gaits, and going fast and smooth, that they don't take the time to teach their horses some pretty basic concepts.

I'm talking REALLY basic, like steering and stopping. They just put a harsh bit in the mouth and ride flat, open trails where they won't have to do much steering.

They sneer at things like "dressage training" or ground work, and sometimes I cannot blame them because so many trainers in other disciplines kind of alienate gaited horses and their owners. They don't know what to do with horses that don't trot or jog, or they go so far as to say that gaited horses are for people who "don't know how to sit the trot," or some other snide comment.

And gaited horse owners alienate themselves from those other disciplines because of all the fears and rumors that "making a horse do that will ruin the gait." I have friends with gaited horses who refuse to canter them because they insist it will ruin the gait. Never mind that their horse canters and plays all over the field during turnout. . .they're convinced that riding a horse in anything but a four-beat gait will ruin it. So, that leaves me to wonder if it's more of a rider issue than a horse issue.

I may look into Whitesell's program a little more, just to satisfy my own curiousity about how he manages to bridge that gap that has developed between gaited horses and "the rest" of the horse world.

Sereno 05-09-2013 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jolly Badger (Post 2470505)
There is one tomorrow in Port Clinton, OH. . .I won't be able to make it, but am curious about him after seeing some interviews with him recently.

I like the fact that he doesn't emphasize gait as much as foundation stuff. I always kind of felt that way. . .that no matter what a horse is intended for, it needs a good foundation before moving on.

However, a lot of people I've found myself surrounded by. . .especially in the gaited community. . .focus so much on gaits, and going fast and smooth, that they don't take the time to teach their horses some pretty basic concepts.

I'm talking REALLY basic, like steering and stopping. They just put a harsh bit in the mouth and ride flat, open trails where they won't have to do much steering.

They sneer at things like "dressage training" or ground work, and sometimes I cannot blame them because so many trainers in other disciplines kind of alienate gaited horses and their owners. They don't know what to do with horses that don't trot or jog, or they go so far as to say that gaited horses are for people who "don't know how to sit the trot," or some other snide comment.

And gaited horse owners alienate themselves from those other disciplines because of all the fears and rumors that "making a horse do that will ruin the gait." I have friends with gaited horses who refuse to canter them because they insist it will ruin the gait. Never mind that their horse canters and plays all over the field during turnout. . .they're convinced that riding a horse in anything but a four-beat gait will ruin it. So, that leaves me to wonder if it's more of a rider issue than a horse issue.

I may look into Whitesell's program a little more, just to satisfy my own curiousity about how he manages to bridge that gap that has developed between gaited horses and "the rest" of the horse world.

Bolding mine. You are soooo right. When I bought my gated Paso Fino, he would not walk once I was in the saddle. His legs going so fast you could not see them but we are moving foreword at a slow walk and or close to a slow gallop, Paso corto and paso largo. Riding with others on TB's or QH's was difficult. So I cross trained him using my old western riding adding a real ... walk, lope and gallop. He understands when we are western with my changing my seat and body positions and rein cues. He has never had a problem going right back into the corto or largo. I do some shows but mostly pleasure and I think that he is as happy as I am with the cross disciplines. We took a two speed horse and added 3 new gears. LOL

Many of my professional Paso Fino friends/owners/trainers would have a heart attack seeing me do this.

Have fun!

Sereno 05-09-2013 04:33 PM

Professional Paso Fino horse show. My wife and I saw Miss Amelia in the prep. area before this show, her first, and fell in love with her. 3 year old mare and everything that we wanted. Open negotiations... around $15K. She took second. Now asking $35K BUT they came down to $22K. She is the second horse doing the polls/barrels. Listen to the foot steps on the boards and notice the two hands, double reins, legs and body positions. Paso corto.

My wife had 3 cracked and 2 broken ribs (DON'T ask.) and we needed to work our two guys. My Paso can do the same as the above video. BUT.... let's go have some FUN!. We have our hired hand Amado riding and I'm still teaching him how to ride. (I can see the women fainting and the men with heart attacks now.)

I guess it all depends on .... what you want to do?

Saddlebag 05-10-2013 08:41 AM

All of Larry's clinics entail many hours of travel, even the nearest. My intention was to audit a clinic but no matter what it turns into about an 18 hr day, a good deal of that time spent in terminals, waiting.