The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Jumping (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/)
-   -   Critique me! (video, long-ish description) (http://www.horseforum.com/jumping/critique-me-video-long-ish-description-188106/)

Hrtspwns 05-05-2013 11:45 PM

Critique me! (video, long-ish description)

PLEASE READ: I've been jumping for about 8 years, going from trainer to trainer and always being told something different! Anywho, this past year I've learned a lot and I started leasing this horse last September. I taught her to jump a little, we don't do much since she's 18 years old (she's fine with this much). THE PROBLEM: My legs swing back. A lot. My legs are probably the best they've ever been in this video. Sad. I want to be able to jump higher later on with different horses. My calves have HUGE knots in them and I'm currently on my way to the sport medicine doc to figure out what's up. I've been aware of the problem for about 2 years. My tight/knotted calves hurt my form a LOT. SO just take that into consideration. I stretch a lot as well and workout regularly. :)

SOO, can anyone tell me where I'm going wrong maybe? Am I pinching with my knees? Not enough weight in heels? Thank you!

And yes I realize I was on the wrong lead haha. She has issues with that side sometimes, and she was picking it up correctly most of the day.

QHriderKE 05-05-2013 11:50 PM

I'm not a jumper, (YET!!) but I'd like to see you sit up a bit straighter?

Hrtspwns 05-05-2013 11:55 PM

While I was cantering or jumping? I was trying to stay in two-point from the beginning of the video, but yea I have a tendency to lean which makes me over-jump sometimes since I feel like I have to help her jump haha.

alexischristina 05-05-2013 11:59 PM

I don't like your position for this if you were trying to stay in two-point. Your shoulders are hunched, and your center of balance is ahead of the pommel. You hit the saddle with every 'up down' motion instead of staying up off the horses back as a true two-point would. If you want to stay light in the tack I would recommend more of a half seat, because it also means you're not sitting up after the fence which is a big no-no.

Hrtspwns 05-06-2013 12:03 AM

Thanks, I'll try it next time. And I only sit up because I used to fall forward and lose balance every time, I just can't seem to find the middle ground..

waresbear 05-06-2013 12:28 AM

You are not in correct two point unfortunately but you and your horse seem like a good team. Hopefully you will hook up with a good coach and get things sorted out.

alexischristina 05-06-2013 12:45 AM

No the thing is, you are not sitting up correctly, you are remaining perched forward which isn't doing your horse any favours on the landing side. You need to come out of your two point for approaching + leaving.

Hrtspwns 05-06-2013 12:58 AM

So I should be sitting up, but in a different way? How? Just trying to learn, sorry. And how should I be adjusting my two point then?
Posted via Mobile Device

JustDressageIt 05-06-2013 01:06 AM

It would be greatly beneficial for you to start working with a trainer.

Right off the bat, you're on the wrong lead - this does not set your horse up for success. You're really ahead of the motion with your upper body, if your horse were to refuse or even do a spook-and-spin, you're hooped as your weight is already in front of the shoulder. You need to learn how to sit up and get your weight into your heels and your legs- your base of support. Next biggest thing that jumped out at me was that you're pumping with your upper body.. you can see your elbows pumping back and forth, and upper body pumping with the horse's stride.
Your canter pole is at a really awkward spot; it doesn't allow the horse to get a nice stride in, nor is it close enough to make it a "bounce" - instead it breaks up the stride awkwardly and gets the horse too close to the base of the jump. Because he got too close, of course he chipped in.
Over the jump, you have "hover hands" - you bring your hands back when he collects his neck, then you follow the neck. As a beginner, you want to get a good solid crest release to allow the horse to use its neck over the jump.

alexischristina 05-06-2013 01:09 AM

I think you need to
a ) NOT approach the jump in a two point, especially because you "feel like you should be helping her jump". Sit back, bring your shoulders back, sink into your heels and keep your center of gravity over the CENTER of the saddle, not the pommel of the saddle. You should not be lifting or pulsing out of the saddle and then sitting back down / hitting the saddle every stride, as you are doing in your 'two pointing'. I would suggest leaving out forward seat riding completely until you have a trainer working with you, who can physically show you where your body should be. Instead sit back in your tack, heels down, shoulders back (I like to imagine a string attached to the center of my chest pulling my chest forward, and two attached to my shoulder blades pulling them back).
b ) If you are jumping sit up and back in your tack on the approach to the jump, and as your horse takes the jump let the motion of the jump push you into two point. Do not push yourself into the position.
c ) Sit back after the jump, shoulders back, butt in your tack, get OUT of the two point.
d ) Now over the jump your back arches, your upper body comes UP and it looks a bit awkward. Practise folding at your hip a little more instead of thrusting your upper body up, the jump is small, your two point should not be dramatic. It's all about your hip angle opening and closing.