The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horses for Sale (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/)
-   -   Should I get him? Mustang (http://www.horseforum.com/horses-sale/should-i-get-him-mustang-188154/)

Tessa7707 05-06-2013 05:15 AM

Should I get him? Mustang

http://i1304.photobucket.com/albums/...ps3e405dd2.jpg
My BO rescued him about 6 months ago from a bad situation where he was really underweight in someone's backyard with another horse. He hadn't been handled for a year before he was rescued. My BO isn't a horse trainer and rarely rides, so he hired me to start working with him to get him ready for a new home. My BO had a lot of trouble catching him, so he basically just got caught to get his feet trimmed and have the vet work on him, and he lived out in a big pasture with 5 other horses. When I came along. It took me 45 minutes to catch him the first day, 15 the second, and under 5 minutes the 3rd day. He's now to the point where he sees me coming and nickers and walks up to me and let's me halter him.
In the round pen, he was a nervous mess, and now he's responding well to verbal cues to trot or canter and he's turning in for turns and walks right up to me when I ask, yields the hindquarters, and follows me around like a puppy.
He was flinchy and nervous with saddling and now he's to the point where I can saddle him without him jumping, but he still will tense his muscles and isn't relaxed until I work with him for a couple minutes, flopping the saddle pad up over and over.
He has reared, bolted and shied away when bridling. I went for a nice grass skiing trip one day holding onto his halter when he bolted away from bridling, I'll attach a video of how he's doing with it now. I can ask him to lower his head and he'll bridle up no problem.
Under saddle, he's getting really nice, he has beautiful movement and I really like riding him. He is flexing laterally really well (the concept was nonexistent before) but not standing still until we have been doing it for a while.
He's 12ish, we're pretty sure he's a mustang but no freeze brand. He has incredible endurance and can go for ever before he even break a sweat, let alone start breathing heavily.
I have no idea how he trailers or what he used to do.
He's free if I want him. I wasn't looking for another horse. What do you guys think of him? Should I take him?
Bridling:Long Video in the Arena, trot and canter : Round Penning: Catching/Haltering:

Samhwain 05-06-2013 06:39 AM

If you can afford his keep then go for it. He looks like he trusts you and responds really well and from how you described him in the beginning to now he's really progressed in your hands.

as for what he is it's unlikely he's a mustang if he has no freeze brand. He could be out of an adopted mustang mare- in which case he would have no brand. But he looks like he has some Iberian blood in him as well as stock blood. Maybe an Andalusian/Lusitano QH mix of some kind.

Tracer 05-06-2013 08:15 AM

Very handsome boy.

I'm with Samhwain. If you can afford the upkeep, go for it. You've already invested so much, and I see no reason why you couldn't finish him off and sell him on if you didn't want him long term.

dbarabians 05-07-2013 10:13 PM

That is a horse I would be proud to own.
I say go for it. You evidently know how to handle horses and have made great progress with this one. Shalom

GamingGrrl 05-07-2013 10:43 PM

He's beautiful! Mustangs are truly amazing horses, they catch on so quick! I wouldn't trade my boy for the world. Snatch him up in a heart beat! :-)

ETA: does he have any hot brands on his left side? He could be off native land like my boy is....
Posted via Mobile Device

Skyseternalangel 05-07-2013 11:25 PM

You've fallen in love :P

If you can afford it, go for it!

FlyGap 05-07-2013 11:49 PM

Tessa, you have done a phenomenal job.

What would you be needing him for?
I adore him, JUST my type. Rick and he could be brothers!
Posted via Mobile Device

Tessa7707 05-08-2013 12:27 AM

Wow, thank you fly gap! I can't call myself a trainer yet, though I have taught many horses many things along the way, I've never taken a horse from start to finish. This guy has taught me a lot about dealing with a jumpy, nervous horse. I wish I had video from when I started with him. And that's the thing, I don't really need him. I just like him a lot, haha. I teach riding lessons and exercise horses for a living, so it's not like I'm lacking for horses to ride. I own one, but I exercise about 11 and have about 12 weekly lessons to teach. I can see him eventually being a lesson horse, maybe, but he's still a long way off from being trustworthy enough to put a kid on him, in my opinion. He's great most of the time, but is still prone to random acts of stupidity, lol.

JaphyJaphy 05-08-2013 02:06 AM

Hmmm... sounds like a good match to me! ;-) He sure is a handsome guy. As others have said, if you can afford to keep him, go for it!

Cat 05-09-2013 06:50 AM

I agree with most of the above - if you can afford him, then I would take him. He looks nice and I love mustangs.