The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Health (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/)
-   -   Sound horse has a head bob (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-health/sound-horse-has-head-bob-188186/)

lwphillips70 05-06-2013 08:51 AM

Sound horse has a head bob

I have had this horse for 2 months and when he came to us he was a little lame from not working for 2 years and suddenly working everyday. He got over that but still has a head bob going to the left at the trot. The vet has checked him and said he is sound but he still has this bob. How can that be fixed? Anyone ever heard of this? It doesn't bother me, i just don't want my daughter going in the show ring and people thinking he is lame when he isn't.

texasgal 05-06-2013 08:56 AM

How did the vet check him?

... and welcome to the forum.

lwphillips70 05-06-2013 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texasgal (Post 2439530)
How did the vet check him?

... and welcome to the forum.

She did the normal check. She lunged him and watched him move and then did a flexion test.

gypsygirl 05-06-2013 09:04 AM

I would go to a different vet.horses don't just have a head bob for no reason.
Posted via Mobile Device

lwphillips70 05-06-2013 09:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gypsygirl (Post 2439602)
I would go to a different vet.horses don't just have a head bob for no reason.
Posted via Mobile Device

I trust this vet with my life! We had another horse that was lame and had to get rid of her so she knows what i am going through. If it was something she was worried about she would tell me in a heartbeat.

gypsygirl 05-06-2013 09:12 AM

Then why are you asking for advice online?
Posted via Mobile Device

aforred 05-06-2013 09:12 AM

There are injuries/lamenesses that won't show up on a flexion test.

Example: A club foot that has been trimmed to resemble a normal foot results in bone to bone contact between the pastern and coffin bones. This causes lameness, but might not show on flexion.

Bellasmom 05-06-2013 09:13 AM

What was the cause of the original lameness and where was it? Horses typically don't become lame simply because they are being worked. Can you post a video?

wyominggrandma 05-06-2013 09:20 AM

A head bob at a trot means the horse is lame and that something is wrong. The symptoms you are saying sounds very much like Navicular.
.Did you do xrays ? Where the shoe is removed, the hoof packed with clay and xrays taken to show any shift or change in the bone?Did she use hoof testers and really put pressure on them?Did she do nerve blocking? I bet this "lameness" the horse was put to pasture for is Navicular and they might have thought it would go away. T
I have seen horses show nothing during a flex test , but when the testers are applied, they show pain. Or the xrays show the change in the bone.
Your vet is not doing a complete job at checking this horse, whether you trust her with your life or not. Any vet that passes a head bobbling horse as sound without discovering WHY the horse is showing lameness signs at a trot is not doing you any favors.

texasgal 05-06-2013 10:38 AM

I'm certainly not going to trash your vet, because I'm sure he/she did what he/she was asked.

However, if the "normal" check didn't find anything and you still have head bobbing, I would have to say that x-rays would be the next appropriate move..

I hope you find out what the issue is..