The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Natural Horsemanship (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/)
-   -   New to Parelli. :) (http://www.horseforum.com/natural-horsemanship/new-parelli-18819/)

We Control The Chaos 12-04-2008 10:50 PM

New to Parelli. :)

Hey everyone. I am getting Parelli "On Line" for Christmas to start with my 8YO Quarter Horse Gelding. I have researched up on it a lot, and im VERY excited. I would like to know everyone's feedback on using Parelli. Sucess, Downfalls, Stories?

I want to get off on the right start so hints would be great too. :)

thanks so much!

Snapple122 12-04-2008 11:19 PM

I think you're wasting your money.
But I won't get into it because there's already a thread on parelli and why it's not worth it.
just my opinion

SonnyWimps 12-04-2008 11:20 PM

Personally, I LOVE it. I have seen a HUGE dramastic change in my horse for the better. He's less spooky, trusts me more, and is more trustworthy.

I highly recommend the Success Series and many many people suggest the Liberty & Horse Behaviour DVDS (quite expensive though, but worth the money from what I've heard). Also being a Savvy Club member ($20 a month...they have lifetime and annual plans also) gives you access to lots of videos (including Bloopers lolol...only 2 though hehe), articles, member locator, and access to the Parelli Savvy Club Forum (something I couldn't live without). Also every month you will get either their Magazine (Savvy Times) or a Training video. Definately worth the $20 in my opinion.

I have some Parelli videos up on my youtube account that you can watch. Not the best because I'm still in the learning process, but it's gotten better to where we were.

I love the fact that Parelli catagorizes horses into "horsenalities"...only because you can't possibly treat one horse the same as another. They are all unique...so they give you tips on how to handle situations if your horse is this horsenality or crosses and waht not.
My horse Sonny is a Left Brain Introvert, Left Brain Extrovert, and Right Brained Extrovert cross. He's all over the sheet. It helps me to know how to go about teaching him things, reacting to him if he does something wrong, and more insight to him in general.

If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.

I have never had any downfalls from Parelli, only good things.

HorsesAreForever 12-04-2008 11:28 PM

I use to be very against parelli but now im a firm believer!! Ive seen dramatic changes in my mare since I start level 1! I use to have to fight her with everything and anything we did! Now she takes the bit basiclly offers to put it in her mouth! I can now ride her bitless and mind this is a 5 yr old mare that was a pasture horse who was never bothered with till 9 months ago when I bought her. We have an AMAZING bond that I wouldnt change for the world!

anyways enough about me!

I recommend you get the lvl 1 lots of great information! Get it on ebay for cheaper! And you can get non brand products exact same as parelli for a TON less at halfcircleranch.com!

Hopefully I will become a savvy member soon!

Ill have videos up soon! I accually have on up in the vid section but its not good we were both has pretty low energy that day haha

If you want to know more from my experience PM me as well :D I just getting started really.

We Control The Chaos 12-04-2008 11:32 PM

thanks for the feedback. :)

Snapple122 12-04-2008 11:32 PM

We're not against Parelli himself. we're against how rediculously priced all the stuff is, and it's all pretty much common sense.

RusticWildFire 12-04-2008 11:37 PM

I second the Ebay thing. I, myself, am a Roberts kinda person (so I don't have advice on the Parelli aspect of this) but in looking around I've seen many things on Ebay for much cheaper for Parelli, Roberts, Anderson etc. Very often used is as good as new too. Just have to be careful to make sure it's not broken before you buy it.

Good Luck! :)

SonnyWimps 12-04-2008 11:38 PM

ebay is a great place to get used training stuff....I haven't gotten anything from there only because my parents are anti-ebay (they don't trust the site :( )

Spastic_Dove 12-04-2008 11:42 PM

I am not a fan of parelli.
I think it's all common sense which I guess can be helpful if you are new to horses.
Please don't JUST follow parelli though.

appylover31803 12-04-2008 11:56 PM

Before the fire gets turned up, lets remember the questions the OP asked:D

I did parelli for a few months and didn't really enjoy it. I actually found that my mare was more spooky and dominant than she was before. Since I have stopped, she has settled down a lot and is quite calm.

A lot, if not all, of Parelli is common sense stuff, but they just put a different spin on it. While you can get everything used, in every magazine and DVD they're always promoting a different product, that you're going to want and you're going to want to buy... I'm not even going to get into the prices of their tack...

I do encourage you to take bits and pieces from a lot of different trainers and mesh them all together and come up with your own.

But if you do stick with parelli, keep an open mind:wink: