The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Talk (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/)
-   -   Settle an Argument:What is "Sorrel?" (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-talk/settle-argument-what-sorrel-18824/)

mojo7777 12-04-2008 11:26 PM

Settle an Argument:What is "Sorrel?"

Half of the people in our barn say that sorrel is a red chestnut (that's what I thought when I was a kid and I had a red chestnut horse), and half say that sorrel is a lightish chestnut with a lighter mane and tail and lighter hair around the edges, legs, muzzle, etc., like you find in some draft horses. Settle the argument...who is right?

county 12-04-2008 11:38 PM

Both, sorrel can be many shades of red same as chestnut. Genetically their one and the same. The only two groups that use the term sorrel are the AQHA and APHA the rest of the horse world only uses Chestnut.

Jubilee Rose 12-05-2008 12:28 AM

I've always thought that sorrel meant lighter chestnut, with almost a yellowish mane and tail, and around the "edges." :-P

RegalCharm 12-05-2008 12:57 AM

Chestnut: A reddish body color with no black. Mane and tail is the same shade or lighter than the body coat. The main color variations are:
  • Liver chestnut: dark very dark brown coat. Sometimes a liver chestnut is also simply called "brown."
  • Sorrel: Reddish-tan to red coat, about the color of a new penny. The most common shade of chestnut.
  • Blond or light chestnut: seldom-used term for lighter tan coat with pale mane and tail that is not quite a dun.

RedHawk 12-05-2008 05:25 AM

that definition is interesting, as my gelding is a chestnut but has a dredominantly black tail, or at least very dark. also, he has some white hairs flecked through his coat which i thought was unusual, but he's a TB so that rules out any possibility of his being a roan. :? will take some pics and post them.

mojo7777 12-05-2008 11:06 AM

According to Wikipedia:

Sorrel (horse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I hate to spoil everybody's fun at the barn by settling the argument, but this definition says it all!

farmpony84 12-05-2008 11:44 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I had always thought Sorrel was the term western people used and chestnut was the term english people used. But my vet told me that a sorrel is the darker redder color with the darker redder mane. My horse is a sorrel:
Attachment 1831

He will actually get redder in the sun where a chestnut will lighten in the sun. i wish I had a pic of a chestnut... that's where they can have that pretty flaxen mane...

Vidaloco 12-05-2008 12:04 PM

I had always thought they were the same color, just depended on what saddle you were using or what association you are dealing with :lol:

iridehorses 12-05-2008 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mojo7777 (Post 204924)
According to Wikipedia:

Sorrel (horse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)

I hate to spoil everybody's fun at the barn by settling the argument, but this definition says it all!

The link takes you to a page that says "no article exists"

Vidaloco 12-05-2008 12:34 PM

Here is the link I found Sorrel (horse - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)
I think its still a matter of opinion and controversy. Dependent on where you are standing :lol:

EDT
Wow thats bizarre it won't show up. Don't hit the link its not working! It came up when I googled it...Oh well