The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Eventing (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/)
-   -   Hunt Coat With XC Vest? (http://www.horseforum.com/eventing/hunt-coat-xc-vest-188410/)

sporthorsegirl 05-06-2013 04:00 PM

Hunt Coat With XC Vest?

I need to purchase a hunt coat for showing in horse trials this summer, but I have a slight dilemma/question. I always wear my XC safety vest when showjumping, so I will need to get a coat that is big enough to fit the vest underneath it during my showjumping rounds... But I would rather not purchase a separate coat for dressage (money is pretty tight) just because the other one is going to be very baggy without my vest. Suggestions/advice would be appreciated.

gypsygirl 05-06-2013 06:14 PM

what color is your vest? if its black i would just wear it over your jacket.

sporthorsegirl 05-07-2013 01:11 AM

It is black :) I have seen show jumpers in England wear protective vests over their coats... So it's legal in US eventing to wear a protective vest over your hunt coat?
Posted via Mobile Device

princecharming 05-13-2013 07:41 PM

bonus of starter trials: you ride showjump in xcountry gear!

I think it would be smarter to wear the vest over the hunt coat, but if you are not sure the best place to check is the rulebook!

lkjhorse927 06-21-2013 03:50 PM

I would wear the vest over the coat so if you want to use the coat otherwise (not jumping) it would fit... I've seen many people do it, it looks totally normal. I don't think you'd get marked down for safety. You can buy smaller vests that are less noticable. I would just wear the vest over the coat.

equiniphile 06-21-2013 04:22 PM

Unless you have a really flat vest, like a lot of the uncertified ones, I would wear it over your jacket. However, most Starter and some BN divisions show jump in their XC attire.