The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Western Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/)
-   -   What type of western saddle puts you in a decent "classical" position? (http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/what-type-western-saddle-puts-you-188730/)

SnowCowgirl 05-06-2013 11:23 PM

What type of western saddle puts you in a decent "classical" position?

So, I know that the best way to find a saddle is to try lots of different ones and see what I like. Unfortunately, for half the year I live about 15 hours from the nearest saddle shop... and even now I'm about four hours from the closest haha :lol:

I'm not looking seriously, but am keeping my eyes open for second hand saddles as I travel around. I'd been looking at barrel saddles because they are somewhat affordable (under $1000 used) and I like the look of them. But, the two I've sat in before put my legs forward... which I know they're supposed to do, but that's not what I want. The main reason I'm even looking for a new saddle is that my current one does the same. It's REALLY hard to keep my legs properly underneath me, and I know it's because of how the saddle is built rather than ME (because I do ride english too and have less of a problem with an english saddle).

I want to find a saddle that allows me to ride in close to the "classical" seat ... Is there a type of western saddle that generally helps you sit in the right position? (besides equitation, obviously... which I've looked at but I can only find ones with tons of bling)

I won't just go and buy any saddle without being sure I like it and that it fits me and my horse, but I'm hoping to find a starting point.

Honeysuga 05-06-2013 11:30 PM

The thing is, western saddles are made for you to sit on your pockets in a deep seat. Your stirrups will be longer and you will have more of a "chair seat". Gotta remember that western and english are completely different riding styles, down to the way you sit in a saddle. The more you relax and sit on your pockets, the easier you will find it to find a proper position.

DraftyAiresMum 05-06-2013 11:33 PM

I've ridden in a Circle A barrel saddle that put me in almost the same position that my Aussie saddle does, which is more of a "classical" position.
Posted via Mobile Device

SnowCowgirl 05-06-2013 11:35 PM

of course, but I feel like there must be saddles which don't throw your legs forward quite so far. You still should only be able to maybe see just the tips of your toes if you look down.

I rode in a hand made saddle years ago (a friend made it) and it put me in SUCH a great position with my legs properly underneath me. Whereas my saddle makes me have to fight and constantly reposition to keep them under me.

SnowCowgirl 05-06-2013 11:36 PM

thanks Drafty! might have to try a few more barrel saddles then. Like I said, I love how they look but the two I've ridden in sure did put my legs forward... which I've read they're supposed to do generally

QHriderKE 05-06-2013 11:55 PM

Your core puts you in the best classical position.

waresbear 05-06-2013 11:57 PM

An equitation saddle is probably what you are after.

Wallaby 05-07-2013 12:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by waresbear (Post 2447634)
An equitation saddle is probably what you are after.

I agree with this! I used to own an equitation saddle that was made in the '70s and it put me in the BEST position! I adored it. But unfortunately it didn't fit my mare and I did't have the fund to hold on to it and get my girl a new saddle. So I sold it. :(

But it was a BigHorn, I think it's manufacture date was like 1969, and it was just great. :)

COWCHICK77 05-07-2013 12:02 AM

Something that has been brought to my attention lately, look how the fenders are hung.
If they are flung forward like I notice some western saddles you will always battle getting your leg underneath you.

Muppetgirl 05-07-2013 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COWCHICK77 (Post 2447690)
Something that has been brought to my attention lately, look how the fenders are hung.
If they are flung forward like I notice some western saddles you will always battle getting your leg underneath you.

Yes for sure! That was my thoughts too. A lot of reining saddles are designed with the fenders sitting further back and they're designed to swing forward if you need you legs forward to brace.