The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Horse hair reins (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/horse-hair-reins-188746/)

Oldhorselady 05-07-2013 12:48 AM

Horse hair reins

I am wondering if it is true that some horse hair reins would make a horse learn to neck rein faster, due to the pricklyness of the reins?

Wallaby 05-07-2013 01:05 AM

I have also heard that...

I do know that using weighted reins helped Lacey pick up neckreining faster. They aren't significantly weighted, just not as light as your average reins.
I guess I wouldn't be surprised if horsehair helped?

Oldhorselady 05-07-2013 01:25 AM

Yes, I can see how it would seem to make sense too....horse hair is prickly, so when the reins lean on the neck, they move away. I think I may try it!

I currently have pretty weighted John Lyons reins...slobber straps and a good weight yacht rope type heavy reins. Love them, but I'd like to try the horse hair and see.

flytobecat 05-07-2013 01:45 AM

I bought a horse hair mecate a couple months ago. I haven't really noticed a difference yet, but I've only used it a few times. It feels weird in my hands and is still kind of stiff. I think once I get used to it and break it in, I'll really like it. I already love my bosal.

Oldhorselady 05-07-2013 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by flytobecat (Post 2448082)
I bought a horse hair mecate a couple months ago. I haven't really noticed a difference yet, but I've only used it a few times. It feels weird in my hands and is still kind of stiff. I think once I get used to it and break it in, I'll really like it. I already love my bosal.

That is a main reason why I hadn't even thought of purchasing them before...they seem so scratchy on the hands. But now I'd like a pair.

flytobecat 05-07-2013 01:59 AM

I was told if they were too irritating on my hands to use gloves, but the scratchy part doesn't really bother me at all. It's more that the reins are still kind of stiff since they are new that feels weird.

SorrelHorse 05-07-2013 02:18 AM

I, personally, like weighted leather reins because they let you give a lighter signal. From there you teach neck reining with your necks, not with your hands. Try laying your rein and bringing your horse into a haunch turn with your leg instead.

SorrelHorse 05-07-2013 02:29 AM

LOL. I put "necks" instead of legs...Whooops.

Time for bed, Michaela...

COWCHICK77 05-16-2013 08:44 PM

50 Attachment(s)
I agree with SH that the neck rein starts from the seat/legs, outside(neck rein) then backed up with inside rein if need be.
I have heard also that the mcarty is supposed to assist with the neck rein from the prickles but I haven't really noticed either to be honest.

I do like mcartys on bosals and my snaffle setups for outside work and I have found the stiffness of a new one has more to do with the twister/maker. I bought one off of Martin Blacks website last year for my husband. It is horribly stiff and I don't enjoy using it at all!(by no means the worst I have felt, but not what I expected for the money I paid) I bought that one to replace a Larry Schutte that had been sent back to be re-twisted at least three times and it is finally retired. Although it was well broken in the feel never changes on his ropes. I had a brand new one and it felt just as good as the old one and fifty times better than the Martin Black one. We also traded for a few made by Helen Dougal Corbari, again they are great to use from the beginning-brand new.
Reins no matter what they are made of, leather, rawhide, horse hair, rope, are hard to buy without feeling in your hand first. But a lot of this stuff isn't sold in any tack store for someone to go around and "pet" them before buying unfortunately!

As far as the prickles, with time and use they break off. With the good mane hair ones I don't feel they are that prickly even when new. I don't tie my get-down end onto my saddle or horn. I run it through a belt loop and down the front of my pant leg so I unknowingly don't drag it through the brush. It is not only my hands but the front of my thigh that has to feel it..LOL
(I attached a pic of the old Schutte and the newer Martin Black rope so you can see how they smooth down with use)

Oldhorselady 05-16-2013 08:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COWCHICK77 (Post 2536410)
I agree with SH that the neck rein starts from the seat/legs, outside(neck rein) then backed up with inside rein if need be.
I have heard also that the mcarty is supposed to assist with the neck rein from the prickles but I haven't really noticed either to be honest.

I do like mcartys on bosals and my snaffle setups for outside work and I have found the stiffness of a new one has more to do with the twister/maker. I bought one off of Martin Blacks website last year for my husband. It is horribly stiff and I don't enjoy using it at all!(by no means the worst I have felt, but not what I expected for the money I paid) I bought that one to replace a Larry Schutte that had been sent back to be re-twisted at least three times and it is finally retired. Although it was well broken in the feel never changes on his ropes. I had a brand new one and it felt just as good as the old one and fifty times better than the Martin Black one. We also traded for a few made by Helen Dougal Corbari, again they are great to use from the beginning-brand new.
Reins no matter what they are made of, leather, rawhide, horse hair, rope, are hard to buy without feeling in your hand first. But a lot of this stuff isn't sold in any tack store for someone to go around and "pet" them before buying unfortunately!

As far as the prickles, with time and use they break off. With the good mane hair ones I don't feel they are that prickly even when new. I don't tie my get-down end onto my saddle or horn. I run it through a belt loop and down the front of my pant leg so I unknowingly don't drag it through the brush. It is not only my hands but the front of my thigh that has to feel it..LOL
(I attached a pic of the old Schutte and the newer Martin Black rope so you can see how they smooth down with use)

Thanks for that! Lots of good points to keep in mind.