The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   Horse Tack and Equipment (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/)
-   -   Full cheek snaffle and keepers (http://www.horseforum.com/horse-tack-equipment/full-cheek-snaffle-keepers-188754/)

Oldhorselady 05-06-2013 11:52 PM

Full cheek snaffle and keepers

I am just wondering about this. I went to a clinic that my friend was in with her horse. The trainer wanted the riders to use full cheek snaffles. Out of all the riders, only one had keepers. I had read an article by Julie Goodnight a while back that stated that the bit should only be used with the keepers. However, since then, just about anytime I witness the bit being used, it didn't have the keepers, nor did anyone even know what they were. And when mentioning this recently, after the clinic, it was said that that was an old way of thinking. I don't use this bit, just wondering for my knowlege, or lack thereof, base.

bsms 05-07-2013 12:03 AM

Trooper uses a full cheek snaffle, without keepers. I've read advice pro and con, but the folks I've talked to all go without keepers and never had a problem. Here is how it looks on him:

http://www.horseforum.com/horses/pho...84235_full.jpg

I was wondering if it would make a difference in terms of style of riding. Would riding with contact, or trying to jump, cause a problem without keepers? None of the western riders I've met use keepers with them...

waresbear 05-07-2013 12:09 AM

I have used the full cheek with keepers and without on the same horse, noticed not a bit of difference.

Oldhorselady 05-07-2013 12:21 AM

Hmmmm...interesting. Here is the Julie Goodnight article that I read.

Julie Goodnight Natural Horsemanship / Horse Master TV Show

GamingGrrl 05-07-2013 01:02 AM

I use a full cheek French link as my everyday bit (I use a different bit for barrels and competition) and I don't use keepers. I ocassionally ride english and with contact and do cavaletti and jumps too with no keepers.
Posted via Mobile Device

Oldhorselady 05-07-2013 01:08 AM

I'm wondering then, if keepers are barely used with this bit successfully, where did the keepers thing start?

toto 05-07-2013 01:45 AM

I dont think its common for people to use the keepers with a full cheek- but with a loose ring seems like itd make more sense to me. I know any snaffle type bit can pinch but if its a well made bit and its not loose enough to pinch im not gonna use keepers.

Muppetgirl 05-07-2013 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oldhorselady (Post 2448306)
I'm wondering then, if keepers are barely used with this bit successfully, where did the keepers thing start?

I've never seen a full cheek used with keepers to be quite honest, I had to go look it up!!! I guess there's a possibility of the bit is distorted enough in the mouth of the horse that the cheek pieces could twist and poke....but that's just a guess, really it looks like a gimmick to me.

faye 05-07-2013 03:48 AM

I use a full cheek but never use keepers for them. It used to be that the bit was angled such that you had to use keepers to ensure the bit stayed in the right place in the mouth, however with more modern full cheeks they are angled such that you dont need keepers for them.
Infact, my full cheek is a french link and if you put keepers on it it would turn it into something akin to a dr bristol as it would alter the angle of the central link

unclearthur 05-07-2013 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by faye (Post 2448850)
Infact, my full cheek is a french link and if you put keepers on it it would turn it into something akin to a dr bristol as it would alter the angle of the central link

Faye - if you think about this and the link fits in-line with the long cheek (which most do) then unless the cheeks are parallel with the bridle cheeks in use the link is angled so you already have a partial Dr Bristol type action.

Keepers would sit the link flat, to stop it rotating to where it's at 90 degrees to the tongue.