The Horse Forum

The Horse Forum (/)
-   English Riding (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/)
-   -   Tall boots or paddock boots & chaps? (http://www.horseforum.com/english-riding/tall-boots-paddock-boots-chaps-188937/)

Cynical25 05-07-2013 01:56 PM

Tall boots or paddock boots & chaps?

What's your preference for schooling?

aerie 05-07-2013 02:01 PM

Paddock boots and half chaps :) I don't have a really nice pair of tall boots (stiff old tall boots I would only use for show days. Counter productive I know) so I am more comfortable in my worn in paddock boots and really comfy half chaps :P that being said... if I can save up enough for a nice pair of tall boots I would probably pick them over my current ensamble

Corporal 05-07-2013 02:05 PM

Tall boots. At LEAST leather cowboy boots, which I admit to use riding English.

jinxremoving 05-07-2013 02:46 PM

I school in tall boots. Partially because I like the look and also because I find that the tall boot helps stabilize my ankle a little bit better.

JaphyJaphy 05-07-2013 02:51 PM

Paddock boots and half chaps (both leather), but that's a recent thing. For years I always schooled in rubber boots, because mud/dust/manure made it a lot of work to keep my leather gear clean and in good shape.

freia 05-08-2013 02:54 PM

Paddock boots and 1/2 chaps. I have a hard time finding tall boots that fit both my foot and my calf. This way, I find the perfect fitting boot, then the perfect fitting half-chap. I also like that I drive to the barn in my comfy boots, just put on the chaps and good to go. Take them off afterward to drive comfortably, on my way home I can stop by the store to pick something up and still be comfy and not look too weird.

I agree that well-fitting tall boots give more ankle-stability while riding and can help your position. I've found that some 1/2 chaps are very soft and wishy-washy, while some have a tighter fit with stiffer leather and do provide quite a bit of support.

Allison Finch 05-08-2013 03:15 PM

I use both, in cool weather. But, in NC is can get horribly hot and humid. I will get a heat rash on my shins when I wear tall boots all day. The paddock and half chaps are the way to go. I can take the leggings off to cool/dry.

Cynical25 05-09-2013 10:01 AM

Thanks for the input! Especially regarding thoughts on the heat - I'm in Texas.

ThoroughbredJumper 05-09-2013 10:23 AM

Tall boots! Hahaha *raises hand for being the odd man out* My ankles are extremely sensitive so tall boots, with their uniformity, dont hurt my ankles as much as the constant scratch of paddock boots. Also, chaps dont fit my calves, i rip every pair i use to get not even 3 days out of the package. The only paddock boots ive ever worn were when i was extremely young, or in pony club SPECIFICALLY for jog out. I never wore them after that, and when i quit i gave them to my riding buddy Brooke. Hahahaha. I dont find tall boots a heat problem. And as you know CYN, im a Texan too ;) haha. Its just whatever your preference is! I have always ridden in tall boots, and our group except 1 new girl, rides in only tall boots. I feel it also gives you an advantage in the show ring, because you know how its going to feel to ride in the same "outfit" you will be showing in. Idk, thats just me :) Im weird and i accept it. hahahha

Cynical25 05-09-2013 10:54 AM

I've only ever ridden in tall boots, but most riders at my barn don half chaps. So here I am being curious/nosy, lol.